Weight belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantmac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I happen to bounce between heavy Faber steels and neutral tanks (AL80 or LP72) using the same exposure protection. The lighter tanks require threading hard weights onto my belt since the spine of my Xdeeps won't hold enough. Also being able to put on the BCD without having +30# onboard would be more convenient.
Has anyone used a regular weight belt as supplementary weighting when moving between different tanks? I realize it can increase my sideways profile and possibly create a-framing but this is open water or a bit of light wreck diving not cave.

Has anyone used a regular weight belt as supplementary weighting
I have to when temps are below 50F. There is some overlap, but not a big deal -- getting the weight belt a little higher can help. If that trims you more head heavy than you would like, bungee a brick onto the crotch strap.

How much weight do you need?

The largest XDeep spine weight + 2 pockets on the waist belt either side of the spine weight fits enough weight for me and 2 buddies.

I have used a weight belt with sidemount before in a pinch and it was a little... crap.

Use a couple the XDeep pockets on your waist belt, easily add/remove weight as required.

I've run belt pockets before and that was okay but not great.
Have the second largest spine pouch and it is comfortable with 25# of custom lead bricks. I might be able to make wider bricks.
I find reloading the spine pouch a bit of a pain between dives however and looking at something I can easily swap over.

These are the ones I'm on about (trim pockets, but you'll get 6Kg in a pair), super easy to fill/empty.

Attachments

• xdeep-sidemount-trim-pockets-small_32e62f2b-6ed5-49b0-b0e8-18597be59a76_1000x.jpeg
    xdeep-sidemount-trim-pockets-small_32e62f2b-6ed5-49b0-b0e8-18597be59a76_1000x.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 12
I have never used a weight belt. My swing in weight between a steel 100 and Al 80 is 8 lbs. In fresh water in my sharkskin. I use 0 weight with a steel 100 and 8 lbs with an Al 80 in my sharkskin. I split the 8 lbs into 4 groups, 2 lbs in each trim pocket next to the tank and 2 lbs in each of the removable weight pockets on my BCD. No need for a weight belt.

I have never used a weight belt. My swing in weight between a steel 100 and Al 80 is 8 lbs. In fresh water in my sharkskin. I use 0 weight with a steel 100 and 8 lbs with an Al 80 in my sharkskin. I split the 8 lbs into 4 groups, 2 lbs in each trim pocket next to the tank and 2 lbs in each of the removable weight pockets on my BCD. No need for a weight belt.
For clarification @grantmac is asking about sidemount in a drysuit in Canadian waters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom