Weight positioning in a weight inegrated BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arj

Registered
Reaction score
I have just bought my first weight integrated BC and I know I need about 10lbs of weight (warm salt water, 3mm wetsuit) but would like to know people's opinion on where to locate this weight. My Seaquest Balance has two front pockets and two non-ditchable rear pockets. I guess this is what you call trim.
Help please.
Andrew

Two pounds in each back pocket of the BC, and the rest in the front. Check trim and adjust if required. Also play with the positioning of the tank.

I've heard that you should have something like 60% of your total weight as ditchable. Not sure what the calcs are to come to that...

But anyway, some people add a weight belt to their weight integrated BC, since belts are easier to adjust the weights. I use ankle weights because my fins float, and the ankle weights work great. Though some folks make fun of people with ankle weights. But I don't care, I just hold my head high and ignore the catcalls and snickers and people shouting "Hey, you with the ankle weights !!!"

I've found with my rear inflation BC that using 3 lbs in each rear pocket along with 5 lbs each in the side/dumpable pockets works best. This is something I've had to experiment with until I found the right combination.

My wife and I both have 2 lbs. in each of the back trim pockets and the rest in the ditchable front pouches.

This is one of the reasons I still use a weight belt. I like most of my weight on my back, but I want to be able to ditch virtually all of my weight if needed and float high in the waves.

I carry a Pony on one side with 3# negative effect, 2# to 4# in the rear pocket on the other side, the rest on my belt.

The key skill in adjusting trim is being able to do absolutely NOTHING.

While at normal depth, stop all movement, but keep your legs in normal position.

Assuming that you are already neutrally buoyant, you should stay at the same depth.

If you are foot heavy, you will slowly go into a heads up position. Shift some weight to your shoulder pockets or move the tank up (move camband down on tank).

If on the other hand, your head sinks, then you need more weight low. Shift your tank down, get negatively buoyant fins, or take some weight out of your trim pockets and move it down to your lower pockets.

It may take several dives to fine tune everything.

Once you get really close, you will notice that the tank positioning will cause your trim to change a bit as you go from full tank to empty tank. The ideal tank position minimizes changes in trim as you use up the air.

Your combination won't necessarily be the same as anyone else, but my typical weighting with an AL80 and 3 mil full wetsuit is 1 pound on each shoulder, 4 in each weight pouch, and the top of the tank valve even with the top of my BC.

I find a 60/40% ratio to be about right for me. As others have said, the actual amount you need and where you need it depends a lot on you and your equipment. In one BC I have, I actually have all the weight in the rear, 6lbs. I agree with Charlie on doing a good trim check. This needs to be done AFTER you have the correct amount of weight. It does not make any sence to get everything trimmed dead on and then start removing weight to get your bouyancy correct.

And WELCOME to the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom