Weightbelt on Vacation

Do you bring your weights on a fly-away vacation?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 95 77.9%
  • I have integrated weights

Votes: 27 22.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear almost 30# of weight at home in the monterey bay so for me carrying 10# with me on the plane to maui is no problem at all. I took a large bag with 2 sets of fins, masks, bc's ect. and had no problem making weight on the plane.

i have an integrated weight system

Very convenient and you'll never have a problem forgetting or misplacing your weight belt.
I dont need too much weight anyway so i carry 15 lbs of soft shot with me it doesnt really bother me.

This thread reminded me of an experience.

I brought my wife to Hawaii one time for a two week vacation on the Big Island. Two weeks of diving, touring, sunning and catching up on the more physical aspects of being married.

I picked her up at the Honolulu airport to change planes for a short hop to Hawaii. I had my dive gear bag and a small backpack of clothing. She arrived with her dive gear bag and a large suitcase of clothing. No problem. One of the reasons I married her was because she was a woman.

When I packed her gear bag up I nearly strained my back. I became somewhat curious about the equipment she had brought. I turns out that she HAD brought her dive belt and all weights.

For all the other trips we had been on, we had driven from our home in Fla. We had brought our belts on those trips because it wasn't that much more effort. This time, it caught me by surprise!

I witnessed an LDS owner selling a TON of soft weights to a newly certified (and wealthy) family of 4 with their brand new weight intetrated BCD's. He told them only that type of weight would work in their particular (ScubaPro) BCD's and that they would need to take their own weights with them to Grand Cayman. Can you imagine?? They must have paid a fortune in overweight charges! I'm sure they know better - NOW.:wacko:

I hadn't even considered weight limits when I brought 30 pounds of lead with me to Honduras. It's the weight I use for cold diving, so I didn't even try to cut back on the weight before flying.

On the other hand, I did take off a few pounds before I actually went DIVING. I figured my 3 mil suit might have slightly less buoyancy than my 6.5 mil full suit with 6.5 mil hooded vest. :wink: Since the resort offered free weight, I perhaps could have left it all behind, including the 14 pounds I used... :bonk:

I was sure glad that my dive bag has wheels. Catching a connecting flight at Dallas/Ft. Worth would have been a bear, if I had to CARRY the bag the whole way from American to the connecting luggage area! That Dallas airport is enormous.

Since Pearce is a big guy (6'4") most dive ops rarely have a web belt that will fit him. So we always pack a web belt with a buckle and keepers. But NO lead.

The only other thing we take is a couple of sets of ankle wts (1.5# each), as they are extremely useful for weighting corrections without a lot of fuss or muss.

~SubMariner~

The belt should be worn around the waist. It works better than being draped from his head. This way you could buy a belt that was more like 48 inches instead of 6'4".:hiding:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom