Weighted STA - SMS 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob,

I run a piece of webbing on the outside up the back of the SMS100. Are you saying you put the weights inside between the padding and the back of the nomad?

Matt

Yes, the weights go inside.

I've just started messing with an SMS 100 but I just bolted up one of those Dive Rite weight sausages and that seemed to work fine.

Its what I do with the sms100, keeps things nice and clean

How much lead are you shoving under there?

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

Thanks for the input. I'll give these options some thought. Let me ask you this. If a sidemount diver chooses to weight aluminum 80's to make them behave more like steel tanks, say 2lbs on each tank, is that 4lbs. factored into required ballast or is it ignored in those calcs because their ballast would be made neutral when the aluminums begin to become more bouyant as they are breathed down?

You need to be neutral with near empty tanks, not struggling to stay down. It doesn't matter if the lead is on you or the tanks. If you are no mounting it starts to matter, but by then you won't be asking on the internets. 2lbs is pretty slight and its not that big a deal to move an al80 with 2 lbs on it around anyway.

one 4lb hard weight, laced into the top camband slot on the inside.

I stuck the halcyon trim weight in mine, but it is not enough lead with my drysuit when I use AL tanks. If you only need 5lbs though, it is a decent option.

Just run to a craft shop and buy a little velcro tape so you can velcro the pad back on the back of the weight.

I am trying the nomad setup next...back to the crafts shop for more velcro tape :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom