Weighting Estimate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TylerSC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I used 10 lbs of weight to dive a 3mil in fresh water at the FL springs. Tomorrow I'm diving in the Atlantic with a 7mil. All other equipment is the same. How much weight would you estimate I would need?

In freshwater, I dove a weight-integrated BC with 6lbs up front and 4lbs in the rear trim pockets, and I probably could have dropped a couple of those pounds. I'm guessing maybe go to 8 lbs up front and 6lbs in the back?

It all depends on your body type and body mass as well. I am 5'10", 160lbs, and I dive in 12lbs in salt water in a 4/3mm suit, gloves, booties, and hood. My best friend is a bigger guy and needs about 4 more lbs of weight to get him down than me.

20 is probably too much, so I'd use that as an upper limit. Aluminium tank?

How much do you weigh? I dive in warm water with a 3mm and I use around 6 pounds. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 200 pounds. I have another friend that is a little chunky who is 5'7" and weighs 190 pounds and uses 12 pounds in warm water.

I would suggest speaking to your instructor; he obviously did not do his job. There is no magical calculation even thou there are some guidelines/maths. You get in the water and test your buoyancy. This should have been covered in detail in your OW course.

If you are correctly weighted which I doubt, I would guess that you require another 6 pounds IMO if you are diving with steel cylinders.

The amount will depend on your body type as well as the exposure suit thickness and age, and going from fresh to salt. My guess: you will need another 3 to 4 pounds for salt and and additional 2 to 3 pounds more by reason of the thicker wet suit. If you have to bring your own weights, bring 20 lbs, expect to use 16 to 18 pounds give or take a little. Do a buoancy check, and then note the weight and exposue suit in your log book for future reference. There is no "right amount for fresh or salt as was suggested in another post. Body type affects buoyancey. Alot.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom