Well, what could go wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the spirit of the thread...
2 healthy divers who are well trained and well prepared, properly plan and execute a dive. 999 out of 1,000 times, nothing will go wrong. On one dive in a thousand, Bob and Karen could still have a bad day. DCI can happen even when all precautions are taken. People can make mistakes even when they are practiced and prepared. Equipment can fail. Something in the environment can unexpectedly change. Another diver in a different group has a problem which Bob and Karen respond to and it changes the planned dive.

Perhaps a submarine surfaces, sinking the dive boat. All hands lost at sea

Sounds like a text book dive, barring any equipment problems - and I can think of many to allow for, prepare, drill for. For a dive that deep, I do a one minute surface float minimum, two minutes if I can't pass my gear to a deckhand on a small boat and must climb it myself.

There are other environmental possibilities, but those were excluded and there is a competent boat tender who stays aboard, right?
Upon re-reading the senraio there was only mention of gas planning and not decommpression planning.
Good catch. :medal: Missed that. But I am not used to planning other divers' dives.

There are other environmental possibilities, but those were excluded and there is a competent boat tender who stays aboard, right?

Where was it mentioned that the boat was manned during the dive?

Edit: I guess that was your point :)

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to basic discussions

Your description has them re-boarding the boat alive. Complete newb nobody here but that makes it hard to tell what you're asking. In a strict logical sense only health issues on the surface or non-diving boat/weather trouble could be an issue at that point. I think maybe we are supposed to imagine things that could happen to interrupt this story before their return to the boat?

Was the boat taken over by pirates?

Your description has them re-boarding the boat alive. Complete newb nobody here but that makes it hard to tell what you're asking. In a strict logical sense only health issues on the surface or non-diving boat/weather trouble could be an issue at that point. I think maybe we are supposed to imagine things that could happen to interrupt this story before their return to the boat?

Hardly.

==== the story of Bob and Karen ====

During the ascent Karen was trying to take Bob's picture with the sun for back lighting. She loved silhouettes and Bob's athletic body made a scrumptious subject. She always loved the way Bob looked in a wetsuit.

Not paying enough attention to the control over her buoyancy she started sinking away. She hardly noticed the extra pressure on her ears because of her single minded focus on getting Bob framed just right in her viewfinder. Bob saw her sinking and knowing that this wasn't the plan turned back to go alert her to their need to ascend.

He turned to face her and in so doing ticked the camera with his fin, which in turn slightly dislodged Karen's mask and it partially filled with water. Karen had had trouble with the mask skill during the open water training but the instructor told her that with time and experience her issues would simply go away, but they hadn't. She dived like a seasoned expert as long as there was no water in her mask, but even a few drops were enough to make her feel stressed and what had happened when the camera bumped her mask had let in more than a few drops.

Bob knew this and his heart jumped to his throat as he saw Karen throw the camera to one side and grab her mask with both hands. Her breathing had suddenly gone from slow and even, just like Jeff, their instructor had taught them, to the panic driven panting of someone who was sure they were about to die. The fight or flight reaction was taking hold and Bob knew that he needed to act fast.

He grabbed Karen by her trim vest and tried to stabilize her so she didn't sink any further or float to the surface in an uncontrolled ascent. Karen was trying to clear her mask but just like in the training all of her efforts were useless. Air was coming out her her regulator instead of out of her nose. Jeff had warned her to work on this but she never did because it always caused such a feeling of unease to let water in her mask. Karen had resolved to simply never let that happen.

Try as she might she couldn't clear her mask and the panic deepened. She started struggling against Bob's firm grasp. She needed to breathe. She needed air, blue skys and seagulls, and she needed them RIGHT NOW. Deep in Karen's subconscious she knew it was the wrong thing to do but she couldn't help herself. She cast off her mask, almost demonstratively and started swimming as hard and as fast as she could to the surface. Bob tried to slow her ascent as much as he could and being alert to the need to keep breathing, he watched to make sure that she didn't hold her breath. Jeff had described what could happen if one made an ascent while holding their breath and fortunately that lesson had made a big impact on Bob.

There was no need, however, because Karen was breathing in and out so rapidly that a continuous stream of bubbles was coming out of the exhaust valve of her regulator. This was only her third dive using it. Unaware of Bob's help, Karen struggled like an animal in a deadly trap until she finally broke the surface. Immediately she spit out her regulator and starting making gasping, choking, coughing calls for help. She had forgotten to inflate her BCD and was now in danger, having reached the surface without serious injury, of re-sinking below the water line and drowning.

Bob recognised the problem and reached down to Karen's midriff and unbuckled her weights. They slipped off into the deep and Karen was now firmly pinned on the surface of the water. She was safe. She was safe.

She was alive.

==== end ====

I didn't make it too gruesome. Karen only lost her camera, her weights and her mask and didn't get injured but in principle this was an accident.

If you wanted to rewrite that make her drown or get a barotrauma then it's not much of a stretch.

And the worst part is everything I wrote is based on my knowledge of *actual* events.

The point being that accidents, more often than not are precipitated by seemingly benign beginnings and quickly worsend by skills that were either not mastered or never practiced.
R..

I'm getting jaded, reading accident and incident reports.

Assume Bob and Karen go to do a dive. They look at the planned depth of 100 fsw, with a multilevel profile, coming up a wall. They compare that profile to their own gas consumption on their HP100 tanks, and conclude that this is a dive they can do. They make a plan for maximum bottom time at depth, and sketch out a desired profile. They gear up on the boat and do a careful head-to-toe equipment check, including breathing both regulators and watching their gauges as they do so. They review the plan and the gas supply each of them has.

They jump in the water and descend together, keeping a watchful eye on the group guide. They execute the dive, paying close attention to the planned profile and comparing it to the dive as it unfolds. They watch their pressure, mindful of the rock bottom reserves they discussed on the boat.

They call the dive at the agreed parameter (gas or time) and ascend together, arriving at the surface as a pair. They remain together until they reboard.

Okay -- here's the challenge. Tell me what could happen (other than being eaten by a shark) that could cause a serious accident or fatality, given that the dive is executed as described.

Outstanding question! I've heard similar questions in flying safety venues framed as "What will our next aviation accident be?" Rephrased, "To what risks are we not giving the appropriate level of concern?" It's a great exercise to stimulate thinking beyond the old familiar mistakes divers make.

I'm too new to have an intelligent answer to the question, but I certainly appreciate the idea.

Ok fine.

Bob climbs the ladder at the conclusion of a successful dive, but he's mad at himself for not making a play for Karen when he had the opportunity...she was bent over examining a coral head, and it would have been PERFECT but he took a few seconds to check his gauges and the moment was lost.

So back on the boat he decides to go for it..Karen's switching tanks and Bob sneaks up behind her, he puts his arms around her..she swings at him, he falls backwards onto a dive knife that was carelessly left on the deck by a diver who is getting seasick over the port side of the boat.

Bob has lacerated an artery and he bleeds out before anyone can save him. Karen is mortified at the accident that she realizes is totally her fault, and she puts on 3 weight belts and jumps over the side.

I can't believe you said that! Exactly that situation just happened on a charter I was on two weeks ago. Incidentally, both my ex-wife "Karen" and my best friend "Bob" recently took out multi-million dollar life insurance policies with me as the sole beneficiary. And both Bob and Karen left me all their dive gear in their wills (Karen's stuff is too small for me, but it fits my girlfriend PERFECTLY...) :devil:

Wait... The county prosecutor's office is calling. What could THEY want? :police:

Edit:
==== the story of Bob and Karen ====

Wow, very nice writing. You may have a future in the dramatic arts (if you don't already have a past there...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom