http://www.diveheart.org/

Well Wishes for Kimber (TekDiveGirl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys --- and Laurel I'm glad I could do that for you!!

Well I started back to school last Thursday --- I'm Psychology --Western Civ and Adaptive Swimming witch basically means I have an instructor that works 1 on 1 setting my own goals and when I am able to be more independant in the water I can join the rest of the class swimming laps --- playing polo etc...

After my second time in the water, I am able to swim on my back --- although I kinda propel at an angle do to the weaknes and spasticity in my left leg. The lack of movemet in my ankle makes my leg really stiff and difficult to kick. I am also able to swim on my belly using my non-effected left arm and kicking both of my legs to move myself through the water. The real trick was being able to stand up when I wanetd to stop swimming. I would land on one foot and hop - hop - slip - hop and not be able to catch my footing --- eventually we worked out a plan for me to get my footing and not drown! My instructor Carla thinks its only a matter of time until I'm swimming the full length of the pool! This is very cool because just less than a month ago I was in a pool and I tried to wim and let's just say --- it's a good thing that I was in the shallow end.

Next mountain to conquer : driving!!

Great news Kimber! :yeahbaby: Very nice to hear about all the progress you've made. Very inspiring.:)

Awesome Kimber, keep up the good work, before you know it you will be entering a marathon!

Hi guys! I have some amazing news! This last Thursday at swimming I swam 3 full laps in an Olympic sized pool - using both arms. Ok so my right arm never makes it out of the water like its buddy lefty and kinda looks more like a children wing than an arm going through the water (but don't say anything - its a sensitive extremity!) than an arm but its doing something instead of hanging there doing nothing.

I swam underwater one full length of the pool - not using one breath -and I tried to do this dolphin-type thing where you dive towards the bottom of the pool then come back up. I wasn't able to do this without a little push to get my body starting to go under the water.

I think this has to do with the severe spasticity in my ankle/foot. I am unable to consciously move it myself so my left leg is very stiff in the water. my left leg is incredibly bouyant - it is truly bizarre! I haven't quite figured out how to overcome this issue. any ideas?

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention. I am completely independent and watersafe!

I have made such huge accomplishments in just 5 times in the pool. I can only imagine where I will be in November!

:happywave Kimber and :clapping:

you swam an entire lap underwater.... i cant do that!!!!

well done.......... again you keep doing what they never thought you could

:clapping: :hugs:

On the way back to the ocean....

Wow, great news!:D

Ankle weights D_B:confused::rofl3:

Well I am at school and I got finished with a psychology exam - had some lunch and while I was waiting for swimming to start I thought I would try to call about setting up an appointment for my Baclofen retrial yet again.

Well I was finally successful! On October 16 at 7:30am I'll checkin yet again to get to get an injection in my spinal column that could possibly make my whole life a lot better!

It didn't work last time - but he used a low dose and was being ultra-conservative.

It was a doctor that hadn't been seeing me that did it last time - my doctor will be doing it this time. I'm going to ask him to give me the highest dose that is safely possible as this is my last chance and hope to fight this spasticity.

Keep those hopes and prayers coming please - I'm going to need them! And thank you!

Love,

Kimber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom