West coast of Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I have access to a condo in Indian Shores Fl. I know there is a scuba outfit near by. How is the diving there? We can periodically find relatively inexpensive flights into Tampa from DFW and it would make a nice weekender outlet that may be cheaper than some of my other options.

Thanks

Tom

I caught the tail end of somethig on the news about that region. It turns out that there is a scientific phenomenon in progress out there. The short of the story is that there are hundreds of sharks congregating in a certain area where a factory has been discharging warm water into the water. The warm water has attracted small fish to the area, which attracts larger fish that feed on them, and so on, and so on until the sharks show up. Some of the sharks were reported to be Bull sharks which is always bad news. Anyone hear anything more about it?

Hi Tom,
The diving in the Gulf is alright this time of year, but you have to understand that the visability may not be so good. You'll have much better visability in the winter and spring than in the summer. I don't care for ten foot visability, but if that's what you're used to, then you won't be disappointed. As a rule, I dive the East coast and the Keys in the summer and early fall returning to Gulf diving in mid October when the vis is better!
The Sharks are on their annual migration from the Northern Gulf. There was a very large school of Blacktips (Hammerheads and Bulls mixed in)filmed off Anclote Key, just north of Clearwater Beach. I think what makes it so unusual is the larger than usual number of sharks and the Media's attempt to play it up in light of the recent shark attacks here in Florida. The sharks be around a week or so and then move on further South. These sharks migrate every year down the West Coast, most people who live here and dive the Gulf know this story. By the way, the Gulf water temp was 86 degrees today.
:tree:Bob

Dive tec is about 300 yards down the beach from my familys condo on bradenton's beach. They run a charter out of there! If your interested I can get the number for you.....I dont know where Indian shores is though...so I dont know if I can help you with anything at all, sorry!

Jason

Tom,
Click here on http://www.diveclearwater.com/ I think you will like these people. I have used them several times and haven't been disappointed yet. They're not all that fancy, but the Captain and Divemasters are friendly and know the Gulf well. They sail out of Clearwater Marina which is easy to find and should be close enough to your condo in Indian Shores. If you need the name of any dive shops just e-mail me and I'll fix you up with some names and phone numbers. :tree:Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom