Wet And Dry Cave Helmet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
5035-279_GRY20_view1_720x720.jpg
The manufacturer Light Monkey do not recommended their helmets for dry caving as they only provide bump protection. I am looking at doing some dry caving as well in Mexico and would rather not carry two helmets during travel. I understand that i need a paired down helmet to reduce buoyancy and was wondering what brand of DRY, WET helmets you guys are using?

locally I was looking at this helmet by Petzl. No Styrofoam just a harness looks like.
petzl-elios-helmet-unisex

Also I was wondering about white helmets, are they reserved for instructors???

What kind of mods can I do. I was thinking to add a hole in the middle or will that be counter productive for my dry caving?

I would say you would need to vent that for sure, but other than that, I like it. Maybe those red plug thingies come out and you can add a few holes down the middle.

I would just wear the light monkey. Most actual caving and climbing helmets made for more than bumps have a styrofoam inner liner and also come down too low and conflict with a mask.

I just use a builders helmet with bungee replacing the strap and foam replacing the internal shock absorber. Very very cheap compared to the sports versions.

Helmets with contours and edges may look great, but are impractical for the light mountings.
The chin straps also do not work that great in the water and with gloves, same with foam liners, but for a helmet to work dry you need both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom