wet suit for Coz in Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 5mm full with a 3mm shortie down to 55 degrees and I am cold but OK. In Cozumel in the summer and fall, I usually just dive with a bathing suit and a t-shirt and I am comfortable - sometimes a little cool when I hit a cooler current. That includes 2 to 4 dives a day, many going an hour or more. I suggest you save the $$$. I've never had any problem touching things I didn't want to touch like fire coral. In the spring I like full .5mm protection because of the thimble jellies. The .5 is also nice in the winter when temps dip into the high 70s.

Pack the 5mm shortie just in case. It will be OK to warm in the water.

Well, you guys from Texas must have some assistance from bioprene. I need some serious thermal assistance. I was diving Coz about a year ago and we went to Barracuda and San Juan. Everyone on the boat but me had gloves. My buddy had some in his dive bag and we each wore one glove.

The current was just ripping and the DM briefed us that we would need to stop by finding a piece of rock and dead coral to grab. We're diving and we see a turtle the size of a VW beetle and the DM stops and I find something to grab with my gloved hand, but I'm not stopping so I reach with the ungloved hand for another handhold and brush against some white, plant looking hydriods. We did several "stops" on those dives and I'm glad it was the last dive of the trip because I broke out in a most horrendous mess on my left wrist than took over a month to resolve. I couldn't imagine that dive in a shorty. :shakehead

On another trip, we surface to a huge mat of thimble jellies. They were everywhere and there was no getting around them. I got them stuck in my hair and after that, it was a hood for me. :)

AWAP & TRH, the jellies and other creatures are what I am mainly concerned of. Is there a jelly prob in November or just in the spring? I am a new diver and at best my buoyency is ok but getting better. Still 3 months of diving left before I leave for Coz to get better.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom