Wetsuit questions. Too tight? Will it stretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve1982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I just received my new wetsuit in the mail and have a few questions. I know that wetsuits need to be tight but is mine to tight. Only my chest and neck seem to tight. Its not cutting off circulation and it doesn't hurt. Is this normal? I've heard once I splash it will won't feel as tight. Is this true? Also does neoprene stretch? I mean does it have memory? Will it become less tight in the areas that are really tight? Any info would be great! I'm leaving for a live aboard trip in a few day and I need to find out if this wetsuits going to work for an entire week. Thanks

Neoprene doesn't stretch much. Wetsuits should be snug, but shouldn't be so tight that they interfere with breathing. They do tend to loosen up a little as they fill with water because when they are dry they tend to stick in some places and bunch in others. When they fill with water the sticky spots slip a little until the suit is better distributed around your body. The only real way is to jump in the pool and find out how it feels in the water. In my experience many people tend to get suits that are too large because that they are easier to don and doff, but they are much colder in the water because of all of the water that flushes in and out.

The neoprene will stretch. There are 2 kinds of tight when trying one on.
1. So tight you cant wait to get it off and want to rip it off immediatly- WRONG SIZE
2. Its tight, but just uncomfortable a little, something your not used too and feels a bit awkward- Perfect fit as it WILL stretch. After you wear/break-in for about 6-8 dives, it will start to form to your body. It will be easier to put on, and just kind of snap into place....even after the first dive, it will seem alot better.

What kind of suit did you get? Some suits are stretchier than others and give you alot better initial feeling when you have them on...

Hope this helps

This may be helpful.

A tight chest is not a good sign. The neck is usually adjustable by the Velcro closure.

The fit will ease when in the after but if it is really tight in the chest you could end up in a world of hurt.

Pete

I have to agree with Dive Right, I have Bare suits and putting them on dry, they are fairly tight but when wet, they are very stretchy and a larger size would be too loose. Depends on the type of neoprene. Bare and many other manufacturers use 4 way? stretch in critical areas.

My instructor said that tighht is never good. leads to anxiety.

Also, isnt neopreme supposed to tighten as it gets older? so starting with a comfortable loose may be an advantage!

Also, isn't neoprene supposed to tighten as it gets older? so starting with a comfortable loose may be an advantage!

It will get stiffer and tends to seem tighter when not used for a while. It's hard to say if it's a change in the diver of the rubber has retracted slightly in the off season. I wouldn't suggest buying loose hoping it will shrink into a good fit.

To the OP, we're all talking about degrees of snugness and wetting will make a difference. You might consider taking it in the shower and letting water in to wet things out.

Since you mention a live aboard it suggests a thinner suit. Thin suits can run a little snugger since they provide less tension and really rely on having that hint of compression all over feeling. If this is your first wetsuit you can count on it feeling odd.

Pete

Similar questions here:

A few days ago I tried on my first wetsuit as well. I am renting this this coming weekend for checkouts. i am not sure of the fit, but I am new so I could just not be used to it. it is a 7 mm SP. The chest and back felt fine, and I was able to don and doff it relatively easily. the only thing is that the arms/legs felt kinda... springy.. like I had rubber-bands attached to my chest and was pulling against them to straighten out my arms. similar feeling in my legs. i realize that the thicker 7mm suit will be a bit more restrictive, but is this the proper feeling?

Similar questions here:

A few days ago I tried on my first wetsuit as well. I am renting this this coming weekend for checkouts. i am not sure of the fit, but I am new so I could just not be used to it. it is a 7 mm SP. The chest and back felt fine, and I was able to don and doff it relatively easily. the only thing is that the arms/legs felt kinda... springy.. like I had rubber-bands attached to my chest and was pulling against them to straighten out my arms. similar feeling in my legs. i realize that the thicker 7mm suit will be a bit more restrictive, but is this the proper feeling?

The arms could be indicative of you having a long torso and not enough suit length there. Did the suit make it up into your armpits?

There is a very good chance that when wet it will slide home and be just fine.

Pete.

Back
Top Bottom