Wetsuit solutions for those with neoprene allergies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had the same problem. I tested positive to Thiuram mix(rubber accelerants) in patch tests, but for some reason washing my new wetsuit in the bath with a cup full of white vinegar, then baking soda and rinsing it well seemed to resolve the problem. If anyone can explain the science behind this I'd like to know.
I guess it depends what I was reacting to, as I'm also allergic to a preservative biocide that it may have been treated with.

There is a lady here who is allergic to neoprene too. She said her allergies are based on the "off gassing" of the neoprene. She lets hers hang for a few years and then she s fine. She is very careful around new wetsuits.

Delighted to find this discussion. I developed neoprene allergy from one year to the next and it took quite a few very horrible days of incessant itching post diving to figure out what it was.

Let me start by stating that neoprene allergy is not automatically the same as latex. I have no problem with latex at all, but any neoprene will turn my nights into days for the itch it causes. When I was tested, the clinic identified 'Diethylthiourea" as the allergen, which I believe is a compound used in the glue.

I have a drysuit now and I use a latex hoody to keep the neo hood off my skin, which works, but it has put a stop to all other water pursuits like canoeing, surfing etc etc.

If I could only find a suit that is not using this compound, it may all be solved.
Hello Marcus, I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you have tried the Thermocline and are happy with it long term? I have a bad allergy as well to my neoprene wetsuit and while my drysuit is fine for at home, I always very much look forward to going on vacation and wearing a wetsuit!!!

All that being said... I already have a 2mm (or thereabouts?) Lavacore one piece and it's not warm enough for me (I chill easily), so I think I would have to buy the pants, hooded vest, and long sleeve shirt from the Thermocline - anyone have this combo? I too need the perfect layering solution.

I have used the Henderson polyolefin fullsuit in tropical waters. I'd estimate it to be as warm as a 1.5- 2mm wetsuit (I also use a two piece neoprene suit in these thicknesses). Maybe with an added vest?

Hello Marcus, I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

I'm afraid I did not so far. I just gave away my wetsuit and stuck to my drysuit for a while, but eventually stopped diving. I plan to get back to it though, and the thought of the unwieldy drysuit isn't exactly an attraction. If this Thermocline is a suitable alternative, I'd try that out. So far I have avoided Neo like a plague, but I do wonder if there is a difference between old Neo and brand new neo. I might risk a test with the hoody.

Hello,

The solution is simple. Take any new wetsuit and soak it in water, if you can get ocean water get it and soak it. I used to have a horrible wetsuit allergies; but I would not get an allergic reaction when I wore one of my old wetsuits, only new ones. It was bad trust me. The handling is any new wetsuit soak it for weeks and you will have a usable wetsuit with no allergic reaction.

I'm afraid I did not so far. I just gave away my wetsuit and stuck to my drysuit for a while, but eventually stopped diving. I plan to get back to it though, and the thought of the unwieldy drysuit isn't exactly an attraction. If this Thermocline is a suitable alternative, I'd try that out. So far I have avoided Neo like a plague, but I do wonder if there is a difference between old Neo and brand new neo. I might risk a test with the hoody.
Have you tried non neoprene wetsuit aka eco friendly wetsuits (whatever that means). Brands like Patagonia and Henderson and such. I'm sure if you Google eco wetsuits or something like that you'll find what you need.

Alternately, Probe iDry a FULLY lined with plush material. I hate the feeling of neoprene and this suit completely solves the problem. Even the outer neoprene layere somehow feels better than other suits.

Hello,

The solution is simple. Take any new wetsuit and soak it in water, if you can get ocean water get it and soak it. I used to have a horrible wetsuit allergies; but I would not get an allergic reaction when I wore one of my old wetsuits, only new ones. It was bad trust me. The handling is any new wetsuit soak it for weeks and you will have a usable wetsuit with no allergic reaction.

I just stumbled across this again. I don't care if the post is old, as the problem still persists. As to your point: No, it's nowhere near that simple. The wetsuit I was wearing had already a full season under its belt. The allergy emerged suddenly the next season, using the same suit. Tests showed that is was the thiourea compounds, which I now know is primarily responsible for neoprene contact dermatitis.

I read about these new non-neo suits like Yulex with great interest and will definitely give that a go. If I could just get a suit that doesn't trigger this awful reaction, I'd be straight back in the water. Can anyone recommend retailers that ship within Europe. Henderson above seem to be US only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom