Whale shark slaughter-tingloy,batangas (near anilao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first they should fire out the head of bantay dagat in anilao and make him as an accomplice to this crime, rey manalao i hope you can read this and please spare us with your stupid lame alibi, heck if they cut of their nets for that creature im sure alot of good divers will pay for that net and give them a reward for doing so, but to tell us that to save the whaleshark they have to cut the tail and the fins? rey manalo we are not dumb and we ain't stupid either, let's say you got trap in a net also and the only way to save you is cut of your limbs? think about that....

Jarius Bondoc Philippinr Star page 13
"
Rey Manalo, Bantay-Dagat (Bay Watch) head in Tingloy, Batangas, is pulling our leg. Of the 18-foot whale shark that beached on the isle Tuesday with no fins and tail, he claims that fishermen accidentally netted it. “They must have tried to rescue the creature with their bare hands, but could not do so without cutting off its fins and tail,” Manalo was quoted as saying.

Phooey! It would be infinitely easier to snip the net than neatly saw off the giant fish’s appendages, which was how it looked. The butanding intentionally was butchered for money, then left to drown, starve or bleed to death. Manalo is trying to fool the public. Was he sleeping on the job, or does he know who the poachers are? Any which way, he must be fired by the mayor of Tingloy. If the latter loves his constituents, he must protect their emergent ecotourism earner of butanding-watching. If he doesn’t, even the butanding-caring people of Donsol, Sorsogon, might suffer bad publicity from this environment crime.

WWF-Philippines gathered these details: Sunday the Bantay-Dagat of adjacent Mabini shooed away from municipal waters a Lemery-based commercial fishing vessel. Monday dusk the intruder was spotted lurking in Tingloy territory. Tuesday dawn the whale shark beached, hardly breathing. Vets deduce that the poachers took all night to merrily knife away the creature’s fins and tail. It was the Bantay-Dagat of Mabini that reported the crime, not Manalo’s unit in Tingloy. WWF has put up a P100,000-reward for info that can lead to the criminals’ arrest.

Ironically this happened only a week after the Philippines hosted a 50-nation conference to protect seven threatened shark species, including the butanding. Twelve participants, led by RP, signed a shark conservation protocol that bans “shark finning,” or harvesting appendages for the soup delicacy."

i believe boljakool (penn) was there when they found the WS. who has the authority over bantay dagat? who has power over the purse and right to audit them?

I think the Bantay Dagat is under BFAR (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources) which is under DENR. also this Tingloy group receives funding from WWF and USAID

thats why i dont trust our government.. all talks and no action.. for the publicity they would condemn this, but what action did they do??

Is there any information suggesting that the fishermen involved were "local" (from the PI) or foreign vessels? Just curious.

The absurdity of the "official" story seems so transparent I'm amazed it even got published. Kudos to those in the PI who are trying to reveal the truth about this sad act.

So sad...

I'm glad I went to Donsol last year, if you haven't gone yet, better get down to Donsol while there are still some sharks left. If this kind of thing could happen in Anilao...

Sadly, I have the feeling nothing will get done until the very top of government decides to do something about it. And I don't have a real good feeling that anything much will happen.

Someone should catch these fishermen and make an example of them.

So sad...

I'm glad I went to Donsol last year, if you haven't gone yet, better get down to Donsol while there are still some sharks left. If this kind of thing could happen in Anilao...

Sadly, I have the feeling nothing will get done until the very top of government decides to do something about it. And I don't have a real good feeling that anything much will happen.

Someone should catch these fishermen and make an example of them.

I like your name - sweet and fitting, isn't it?

(I studied WWI poetry many years ago)

Yes, I know :dork2:

WWF offering reward of 100,000.00p (about $2,000.00) for information leading to the arrest of the culprits .Greg Yan 0917 883 4207 WWF officer

Vile sickening act and attempting to excuse it is just as vile! yes... there is a smilie for :vomit:

Is there any information suggesting that the fishermen involved were "local" (from the PI) or foreign vessels? Just curious.

from an earlier post someone posted the culprits may have been from lemery another town in batangas.

this is just sickening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom