Whale sharks 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed the moon was almost full last night. Here's hoping you spot a WS or more next week.

:cheers:

Hi Fysheye
Surface water temperature is 81 degrees F.
Regards
Ralph

Ralph, any news for this month? Also any idea what the current water temp is at the Spit? I am in the process of packing my gear for next week. If I don't have to pack my shorty or jacket, I'd prefer to travel light with just a rash guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

So do we and all the guests we have coming!!!!!
Our first whale shark trip is tomorrow.
Regards
Ralph
I noticed the moon was almost full last night. Here's hoping you spot a WS or more next week.

:cheers:

Hi Fysheye
Regards
Ralph

Regards
Ralph

Can't wait to hear back how it went. Looking forward to a great report.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 07:57 PM ----------

Hi Fysheye
Regards
Ralph

Regards
Ralph

Any Whale Sharks today?

First whale sharks spotted today - one fairly close and it came right to the surface, one fairly distant. Guests were more excited about being up close with a pod of dolphins in the whale shark zone! The second boat didn't see the whale sharks but saw huge masses of snapper so the conditions are there.
Regards
Ralph

Last edited:
I saw two whale sharks yesterday, but in reality I think I saw the same one twice. We were hanging out over a school of snapper. We were in 60ft and the whale shark was at 120 feet.

Today, Tuesday April 7th. We didn't see any whale sharks, but some in the group saw a hammerhead shark.
8b854cfd2bfb9e18701be69adbd00a0a.jpg

---------- Post added April 8th, 2015 at 08:58 PM ----------

April 8th. Got skunked again. Third day of diving at the spit. The first five at 80 feet did produce a thing. I just saw lots of blue water, bubbles and scuba fins.

On the second five our boat captain put us on a high school of snapper. With smaller schools of jacks closer to the surface. Everything seemed perfect. However, after 45 minutes we came back empty handed. Unfortunately that was my last chance to see whale sharks on this trip. I guess it will have to wait for another time and adventure.
ef22e79e04f38650fa7a6ffb73d7d0f3.jpg

Whale shark encounters have been slow this April but maybe things are looking up. We had two boats encounter whale sharks today. Divers on one of our boats operating out of Hopkins saw a good sized one and snorkelers on one of our boats operating out of Placencia saw one. Four more days left in this whale shark moon season so hoping for more encounters. While the divers and snorkelers see lots of other things (other than coral) in the whale shark zone, they came at this time of the year for whale sharks.
Regards
Ralph

Aww Ralph!
Now I'm bummed I wont be arriving until July!

But I'll still contact you guys soon enough about diving without whalesharks - because I suppose diving does exist without them too :p

Kumimonster, Ralph and Splash Divers are out of Placencia. It's my understanding you'll be on Ambergris Caye at Mata Chica. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, definitely get in touch with Ralph and Patti to set yourself up for whalesharks next spring!! I'm hoping to be back myself. Went with them last May and had an excellent time. Very exciting when the sharks show up and for me, that was on every dive. Sometimes they made us wait for them though. Swimming swimming swimming looking looking looking . . .oh gosh dive time slmost up sigh . .. Oh My Gosh!! Look! look! Look!!!! Yesssss very satisfying. :) especially the one that swam right past me, within a foot of me. I vould have reached out and touched it . . .but that would just be wrong . .. . and expensive :wink: right Downing?

We went to look for whale sharks yesterday. Our May whale shark moon season trips start today. They saw the snapper at about 150 feet, sharks. a turtle and some amorous dolphins but no whale sharks. Here's hoping we do better today!
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 06:50 AM ----------

Monday May 4 First May whale shark moon trip saw bull sharks and reef sharks but no whale sharks. The snapper are there so the whale sharks have reason to be there.
Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom