Whale Sharks in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a crap shoot anywhere - except Okinawa where they're in a pen.

Search Google/You Tube for "Whale Shark Gummer Jackass"

You guys can pick it apart all you want but the reality is that the Roatan dive operators are offering whale shark excursions to see them on Utila.

Some are. They fit into a very select category. Not necessarily a good one.

... dive industry that I'm aware of promotes coming to Roatan to see them, yet several of the dive operators on Utila do.... embedded in their website - if they weren't able to deliver on that word would get out fast and they'd change it - or be out of business. And they're not the only ones - Laguna Beach even has one in their logo - and at the bottom of their pool IIRC.

And some of us know exactly how, why and when that "marketing" thing got started.

I personally met a whale shark geneticist, she works partly for the Shark Research Institute. She was our expert the week we spent on Utila. Why would she not have gone to Roatan instead?

Basically the same mysterious answer as above. I think Rob got a better deal on beer in Utila. Just a guess.

DS:
I'm thru here. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

Yeah, it's a heavy burden you shoulder for the good of the diving community. But just take solace in the thought that adding your perspective and view expands the available information to the potential Bay Islands visitor. As they are doing their research and finding only closed doors, you give them a keyhole to peep through. Soldier on!

Except these exchanges with Doc and RTB are briefly entertaining.

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little flipperd-up up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to flipper'in amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Sheesh, don't you guys have anything better to do? Why don't you guys go pester the guy that responded to a two year old post. Wait that was me!

I'm not trying to say that there are no whale Sharks in Utila, I am saying I don't think I am going to pay $700 to go looking for them over there. Now if I can get 4 more people to go, then $116 per person is not all that bad.. If we don't find any we can at least burn a few tanks over there..

I am saying I don't think I am going to pay $700 to go looking for them over there. Now if I can get 4 more people to go, then $116 per person is not all that bad.. If we don't find any we can at least burn a few tanks over there..

I offer the famous Whale Shark Guarantee
in the Bay Islands. I make this possible through any one of several dive operators who offer the benefits of their franchise with WSG, Ltd. In addition to their standard daily rates, you can be Guaranteed that you'll see el fisho magnifico... the Whale Shark.

Here's what it means to you: For a small fee of $350 per diver, we absolutely guarantee that you will be swimming with the Tiburon Balleena (That's Road Runner speak for Wilyius Coyotius, el Sharko de Whales, the Grail Most Holy)

If you charter with us and throw down for the Whale Shark Guarantee and for any reason not see one, all of your money will be refunded immediately upon docking.

Here are some happy customers.....

Please check with Tico. He is sitting on the crate behind the emepenada stand on the side of the airport.

Just wanted to follow up on my trip:

We rented this condo West Bay Beach Vacation Rental - VRBO 285440 - 2 BR Roatan Condo in Honduras, Jewel of West Bay ~ Costume Jewelry Price for a week. Perfect for two couples or a couple with two kids. second room twin beds convert to king bed easily. Nice plunge pool. 50 paces to Las Rocas, 25 more paces to Bite on the Beach. Clean comfortable, quiet, fully stocked. All we bought was food and drinks. The plunge pool was perfect for cooling off, the deck and hammocks perfect for reading or a nap. Our deck and water bucket was swept and cleaned every day by Tulio, the caretaker. The manager even arranged for us to be picked up at the airport and taken back by Jensen. Jensen had a comfortable air conditioned diesel van. And they took us to the grocery store and waited for us. AWESOME!

We dove with Anemona Divers We chose this company because the were close, had two large covered Panga's, and had good reviews. The staff were totally awesome! Heather was the Manager/DM, and Patrick Martin were the DM's. Raymond and ??? were the boat Captains, and they all did an awesome job. We also hung out with them some after work, and enjoyed the company. We liked the casual atmosphere, and the trip board. Write your name in, and show up, and off you go. Heather will no doubt be scooped up by another company. My biggest challenge was the owner. She would argue with the staff in front of customers, and was mostly a no show, causing the other staff to have to scramble. Also their dive compressor was broke, so they had to fill tanks elsewhere. As a previous charter owner, I would think that this would be a number 1 priority getting the compressor fixed, but it certainly did not look that way, as it was broke the whole week we were there.

We ate at Fosters twice, Beachers once(Awesome lobster special!) and Las Rocas twice. We also had lunch at Bite on the Beach twice, and they had yummy lobster tacos. The Empanada guy would come by every morning, and we would buy those for lunch/snacks, and they were really good.

We went to West End one day, $3 each way water taxi. We wandered around, and ended up eating at Cindy's Place, and got the Baleada special. Wow! what a treat. You have to go next door to get beer though.

The diving was great some days, and so so others. Some areas had tons of life, and others were pretty dead. I did get some nice pictures and they are over in the Olympus sub forum.

We also think my best friend got a case of Dengue, but we are not sure yet. I do recommend you bring a non-aerosol bottle of 40% deet with you, and always at least spray your legs good, and the rest of your body if you attract mosquitos.

Reactions: Doc
well we saw whale sharks pretty much every day around utila from april 19th onwards for a week or so and we've been seeing lots of huge of pods of spinner dolphins and several pods of pilot whales but no whale sharks early in april. since april 26th whale sharks have only been seen every 2-3 days.
shame you ate lobster during the closed season it just encourages the poaching but some restaurants just have no scruples and some visitors just don't care.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom