Whale sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything is possible but the probability is slim to none chances of seeing a Whale Shark off of Roatan in Sept.

Just back early today from Roatan, Dove West end area. No whale sharks - no sharks at all seen in this area on this trip. Bummer.

Just back early today from Roatan, Dove West end area. No whale sharks - no sharks at all seen in this area on this trip. Bummer.

It is this type of attitude that makes me wish every single O/W diver was required to do a macro phot course. So many swim so fast past so many interesting things looking for big stuff then get on the boat and are dissapointed where as if you take your time and look at all the smaller critters the reef has to offer the big things may happen and you will see them, If not, at least you saw a lot of cool stuff instead of swimming like an idiot trying to find what was not there.

RTB Diver: Don't get me wrong - I am a photographer and love the macro stuff. Did plenty of photography and focused heavily on perfecting my juvenile drum fish angles all week. I can spend an entire tank around one coral head or area just observing. But you are right - many want to see the big stuff and cruise on by the fascinating small stuff that is the basis for life on the reef.

Also spent some effort on photo angles of the lionfish which are now ubiquitous - and present on every dive I did this week. Fewer scorpion fish than I have seen in the past. Fewer crabs and lobster in recent years.

I am increasingly disappointed that I see less and less in the way of nurse sharks, turtles, large groupers and such over the last almost 20 years I have been diving Roatan. Also noticed increasing algae on the sandy areas and corals. The reef and life on the reef is not what it once was.

But still a great dive destination which draws me back regularly - with my cameras for wide angle and macro work.

i did have the opportunity last year to briefly snorkel with whale sharks off mexico, and it was cool. i like critters of any size and enjoy hunting for macro life too. last year i took an underwater magnifying glass along with me to bonaire and enjoyed looking at tiny creatures with it. i love diving period and love to see whatever is there. but a whale shark encounter is certainly a cool thing. i also love to look at morays......i got a nice picture of a black and white spotted one last year. only 28 days now til roatan!!!!! yippee!!! i tend to get very excited as we can afford generally one such trip per year.

i did have the opportunity last year to briefly snorkel with whale sharks off mexico, and it was cool. i like critters of any size and enjoy hunting for macro life too. last year i took an underwater magnifying glass along with me to bonaire and enjoyed looking at tiny creatures with it. i love diving period and love to see whatever is there. but a whale shark encounter is certainly a cool thing. i also love to look at morays......i got a nice picture of a black and white spotted one last year. only 28 days now til roatan!!!!! yippee!!! i tend to get very excited as we can afford generally one such trip per year.

It's so great when divers embrace the whole picture...large, small, wide angle, macro - it's an amazing world under the sea :acclaim:

It's nice to see your enthusiasm...have a WONDERFUL trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom