What about getting trolled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dakkon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I'm going to certify this spring, and all of my diving - for this year at least - is going to be lake diving. One of my first thoughts was getting snagged by someone who's trolling. Granted, there are some places on the lake that are heavily trolled and those should obviously be avoided, and sure I should have a dive flag up... but other than that, is this a legitimate concern and what else is there to do about it?

Yes a big concern of mine as Im mainly a shore diver. I always try and carry 2 pairs of surgical shears; but I tell it if you get snagged the shears may be too awkward to handle. Best bet is to examine the dive area and display a good clear flag (not one that sinks using those thin white floats).

My buddy once got a fish hook through his fin on a night dive. The fisherman was trying to reel him in and he was not carrying any cutting device. I cut the line for him, but if I had not done so his only choice would have been to ditch the fin and swim back to the entry point with 1 fin. Not an easy task! So ... line cutting devices are essential.

In the daytime, you should (?) be able to see the lure and avoid it. Probably best to avoid night fishing areas entirely.

Use a dive flag on a float buoy.

Water skiers might view it as a pylon, but fisherman are likely to avoid it- after all, lures are expensive.

Freshwater lakes, unless they're hunting the mighty Muskellunge, the fishing line is light weight- more likely to break before the hook rips through your lip... entirely. Hey- piercings are all the rage.

Cutting shears, I suppose. I prefer grenades.

Play the fisherman and let him take home some "You shoulda seen the one that got away!" stories.

Try to swim around a log and wrap the line around it, or as you're being pulled near the boat wrap the line around the prop and charge off to break the line.

If all else fails occasionally surface and leap out of the water shaking vigorously to possibly dislodge the hooks.

You can usually hear the motor humming and see the lure if the water is clear enough.

I managed to snag a few lures this way from fishermen who were trolling near our dive flag. It's kind of fun to see the lure moving in the water. Not so much fun if it happens to snag you. Spinners and spoons aren't great trophy items. However, a nice, fat crankbait is a treasured addition. In short, you'll know they are coming unless you are occupied with something really attention diverting. :D

X

Thats the reason why divers are advised to have shears and knives with them. One such contingency is to cut your way out of trouble.... Too bad for the fishermen....

Does anyone make a diver's down flag with a strobe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom