What are some good lenses to have for a D7000 underwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tokina 10-17mm and the 60mm are two of the best lenses to start with. Many people in California get the older version of the 60mm because the newer AF-S 60mm doesn't work with a teleconverter, and the 60mm + 1.4x tele combo is quite popular here.

Many people in California get the older version of the 60mm because the newer AF-S 60mm doesn't work with a teleconverter, and the 60mm + 1.4x tele combo is quite popular here.

The Nikon TC 1.4E II does not work with the new Nikon 60 mm 1:2.8 G ED, but I have had no problem with the Kenko-Tokina 1.4 Pro 300 TC.
Is there something that I am missing?

I also use the Tokina 12-24 mm and love it because it has almost no distortions.
Backdraw is that this lens need a strong diopter (+3 and Ikelite 6'' dome = still soft corners) or a 9''+ dome to eliminate the need for a diopter.
I found a "old" Nikkor micro 105mm lens and i am very happy with it. Rather dificoult to use in current and surge conditions, but
perfect in calm, clear waters with shy critters.

I have also the Port for the original Nikon 18-105mm VR zoom but never use it as i find no use for it as at wide angel it create ugly distortions and
i see no need (for me) for zooming in.

Chris

What type of photography interests you?

Macro
Wide
General

This is the first issue once you locked your focus you can determine on which lens to settle for. Whether is all or certain. As they are pricey it's good to know what you want or will need.

for macro suggested is the 60mm. Others mentioned here are excellent however are they suitable for?

Browse around and try some. Experiment.

Have fun and enjoy!

I recently switched from D200s to D7000s. I bought a few bodies, got a new housing, and had a blast with them in Roatan last week.

I'm also a 10-17mm convert. I've used the Nikkor 12-24 for years and never saw the point of using a fisheye lens. It's tough enough getting close enough to use the 12-24. I officially LOVE the 10-17. I shot 15 dives with it and another 5 with the 60mm. The 12-24 and 150VR never got mounted all week.

A few with the 10-17:
PM8_1135.jpgPM8_1733.jpgPM8_1899.jpgPM8_1964.jpg

One with the 60mm macro:
PM8_2076.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom