What Are Some of the Most Active Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabamatxn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
No one who dives regularly can fail to appreciate how special the underwater environment is. However, in spite of improved individual diver education, I see this environment continue to deteriorate. I would like to get involved with and contribute much more actively to programs that attempt to promote conservation. I've done a lot of research, and I have found several organizations that want contributions, but WHICH organizations are most effective? Any ideas are welcome.

I'm an active member of the Marine Conservation Society (MCS), http://www/mcsuk.org.

They offer many different ways to contribute positively, to make "Seas fit for life", such as local groups, underwater cleanups, Seasearch dives, beach cleans, etc etc.

They're really supportive if YOU want to organise soemthign to make a difference too, even if it's just a one-off clean up or something.

I'm the Seasearch Coordinator for my local group, and I'm also head of the Marine Conservation Students Society at my university. Keep me very busy!

is there any agency that will actually try to stop further development of an island for tourism if it means, that the marine life will dearly suffer?

underwater daphne:
is there any agency that will actually try to stop further development of an island for tourism if it means, that the marine life will dearly suffer?
Have you tried Greenpeace? You may be able to get some information there to help you. I saw your thread elsewhere about Tioman, and somewhere else you may get some information about the nasty bad corporations behind the planned development is www.corporatewatch,org
www.greenpeace,org/international_en/

hope this helps a bit - good luck!

underwater daphne:

Hmm... often these are referred to as "ecoterror agencies". Most of these fringe groups lack scientific expertise to make accurate ecological assessments of regions. They often use extreme and highly questionable science to fuel their agendas. Thus you have to be cautious when dealing with them.

Vieques in Puerto Rico will be an interesting study. A bunch of so-called environmental groups contributed to the U.S. military leaving it (was a longstanding live firing area). Now it's open for public development and tourism... I figure this'll damp the ecology far more than the military ever did.

There are a large number of moderate, well-educated groups that use peaceful tactics to promote their agendas. WWF is a popular one. Nature Conservancy is another. Audobon Society used to be, now they're a bit flaky.

Any organization that directly tries to impede island development is probably acting against that island's government. Jailtime. A much better way to keep development off the island is contribute to a local grassroots campaign that lobbies the local government to better manage its resources. Nobody like nosy intervention from foreigners, however well intentioned they think they are. Much better to find a local group and work directly with them.

I am a member of the Sierra Club (Sierra Club) and they organize activities such as river clean ups using kayaks, bike rides etc. This way you can get to meet the local people who are living on your doorstep. They also are very active when it comes to politics. We are informed about votes going on in the State and if it is an environmental issue, then we are asked to make our views known to the Senator and/or the Governor to urge them to vote for or against certain bills. Membership was something like $25 for the year and you get a monthly magazine which tells me stuff that I didn't know was happening - like how many policies the Clinton administration brought in that have been weakened during this administration. It is obvious to me that they are anti-Bush (I am English and have not been in the States long enough to have an allegience, plus I cannot vote anyway) but I think they care about the environment more that anything else. Have a look at their website and from their you can also have a look at what is happening in your part of the world - that is if you are N. American based.

Thank you -- the web site looks good. I also saw on tv last week that Sierra does not pay its officers large salaries, like many other 'non-profit' organizations around. I actually agree with Bush on several issues, but no administration has got all issues right.

Something that I've learned recently is how great the cheesy line "Think Globally, Act Locally" is. I can't reasonably do anything about coral reefs living where I live, but I can and do help out with kelp forests. Because they're right here.
Unless you have the budget to travel all over and help remote archipelagos, (if you do, take me with you) you might want to look into what issues are around locally and what you can do to help.

Hi there scubababamatxn n co!

Have you thought of volunteering for a conservation project and actually getting involved yourself. That is one of the most fantastic donations you can give… rewarding on both sides too.
There are several organisations, Coral Cay mentioned above, being one of them.
I recently volunteered for Blue Ventures who run a constant project out in Madagascar.
I believe the GVI and Frontier also provide volunteers for various projects too, though I can't speak from personal experience about those ones.
Good luck with it all, every little each person can do can only have a positive impact, on whatever scale it may be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom