What are the implications of being overweighted with a backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

could this be a mind-set that I am bringing from my recreational training and gear, and also just need to adjust?

It's how most of us dive BP&W. By 'us' I mean technical/cave divers.

As for a proper weight check, could you direct me to a thread that has the steps clearly stated? I'll run a search of my own also to compare.

Can't find a thread immediately. It's easier to site search via Google, but late here. See article: Scuba Weighting | 4of9 | Scuba Buoyancy Masterclass

Could you list the methods and places I could add weight on to a BP/W?

On the cam-bands is good for trim (threaded or in trim pockets). Also the shoulder webbing (threaded on). Trim pockets on the waist belt also, if desired. You can also buy varied single tank adapters of different weights..

Is there a reason I am unaware of that they make such short corrugated hoses for certain inflators?

My understanding and I can not recall where I read, is that with a short hose it is easier to vent because you do not have to lift it as high to make it the highest point. Even in trim with a shorter hose you just barely have to raise it above your shoulder If you roll slightly right it makes it even easier to do.

I had a longer hose for about my first 40 dives, I can not imagine going back to a longer one.

When I switched to my DSS BP/w it came with a shorter corrugated hose then what I was used to. I initially had trouble locating the power inflator without some feeling around. I solved this with a strip of Velcro tape and strapping it to my shoulder strap. My inflator now sits just above the chest Dring. I use the rear dump most of the time, but if needed, I can still raise it to vent through the inflator.

No, you don't and should NOT change anything until you do a proper weight check with the gears that you intend to dive.

As for 7L AL tank, it is like a AL50, which is not typical at all. AL50 hold 50CF of air, weight swing is about 3lb.

For corrogated hose length, I also prefer 12-13". It is on the short side, so that when I am horizontal, it won't dangle. It is long enough to do everything PcfAJ said.

When I switched to my DSS BP/w it came with a shorter corrugated hose then what I was used to. I initially had trouble locating the power inflator without some feeling around. I solved this with a strip of Velcro tape and strapping it to my shoulder strap. My inflator now sits just above the chest Dring. I use the rear dump most of the time, but if needed, I can still raise it to vent through the inflator.

Isn't that what the bungie loop on the left shoulder D-ring is for? ​Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions - Dive Gear Express

Isn't that what the bungie loop on the left shoulder D-ring is for? ​Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions - Dive Gear Express

IIRC, my DSS rig did not come with a left shoulder bungie loop. The Halcyon rig I got recently does and I quite like it. Adding a bungie loop to my DSS rig would be pretty trivial, if I ever got around to it.

Do a buoyancy check with a near empty tank (500 psi), empty BC, lungs half full. You should be neutral just below the surface. This will allow you to make your safety stop and controlled ascent to the surface without carrying excess weight. I believe the Red Sea has higher salinity and may require a little more weight than the Med.

IIRC, my DSS rig did not come with a left shoulder bungie loop. The Halcyon rig I got recently does and I quite like it. Adding a bungie loop to my DSS rig would be pretty trivial, if I ever got around to it.

Ditto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom