What are the mask preferences out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the manufacturer of the mask is of no consequence as long as it fits properly and does not cause any undue pressure upon the septum of the nose when the maks is in place and the regulator is in the diver's mouth.

Dive shops should not only try to fit the mask to the diver, but should also provide a regulator for the diver to put in his mouth when fitting masks . . . makes a BIG difference.

the K

If you do find that you fit into several, some nice features are
- very soft silicone (there are a lot of variations between masks, some are luxuriously soft, others feel nearly plastic in comparison)
- large field of vision combined with low volume, this usually means no bug-eye masks but the field of vision is kind of tear drop-shape and comes down to your cheek on the bottom (think where the extra field really matters and where it will just be extra space to defog and clear)
- consider single-lens if you don't need Rx lenses, field of vision immediately improved
- straps that are easily adjusted on the go BOTH ways (might not be so important feature for everybody but I like it because I am a fudge-finger) with standard size strap slots so replacements will fit easily
- not many extra 'loose' parts that might fall off (ie sturdy)

Forget about purge. Black skirt rocks.

That said some masks I have liked and use, and could have bought if they fit me are Atomic SubFrame, ScubaPro Frameless, SeaVision (can't remember the model but sublimely soft well-sealing silicone just a little smaller field of vision than I liked), Mares Liquidskin. Cressi Matrix and Cressi Big Eyes did not work for me but would fit the criteria except for soft silicone.

I just bought a classic mask. You know the old style where it's just one big round circle instead of two eye pieces joined together...? Fantastic, cheap and takes funky photos.

Back
Top Bottom