What are the top Diving related books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another +1 for Deep Descent by Kevin McMurray and Diving into Darkness by Philip Finch

go to undercurrent.com and click on books- they promote dive related books and give a nice list and their reviews. and if you buy through them, their cut is donated to reff preservation causes. ( and our books are there - The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette, Book 1 and Book 2)
DivemasterDennis

Raising the Dead by Phillip Finch. At or very near the top of my list. It's about Dave Shaw's attempt to recover Deon Dryer's body from Bushmans in South Africa. Fantastic read. I also second the votes for all of the NE Wreck diver books mentioned above --not a bad one in the lot, but Shadow Divers gets the edge because the story is so compelling.

Neutral Buoyancy by Tim Ecott
i thought I saw Atlantis by Al Tillman
Down Time: Great Writers on Diving
the Silent World by JYC
Water and Light by Harrigan
Fatal Depth by Haberstroh
fatally Flawed: The quest to be deepest by Schaik
Fireside Diver by Cardone
The Rapture of the Deep by Zinsley
lost wife, saw barracuda
touch the Sea by Dee Scarr
Many by JYC and Haas

all time favorite: Diver Down

on top of those mentioned

Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles

[QUOTE: USdiver1;6708946]Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles [/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I am surprised that you listed Carlos's book the "Last of the Blue water hunters. Especially since you are from Ohio
A book about Long Beach Neptunes SoCal spear fishermen on a spear fishing trip to Baja.
It has become classic in a very short time a and is demanding classic prices - $80.00 to $304.90;
Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
1. Trade paperback, Aqua Quest Publications, 2005
$80.08
Condition:
Fair
2.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$97.47
Condition:
Good
3.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$107.22
Condition:
Good
4.The Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$150.00
Condition:
Good

5.Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
$205.68
Condition:
Good

6.Last of the Blue Water Hunters, Revised
$214.75
Condition:
Good

7.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$293.11
Condition:
Very Good

8.Last of the Blue Water Hunters
$304.90
Condition:
Very Good
I would suspect the title and the price will prohibit most bibliophiles who post on this board from purchasing it.
(Yes I have the book inscribed by Carlos to me- delighted to note the price increase!)

I'm about halfway through "The Complete Diver" by Dr. Alex Brylske. I'm not sure if it's quite what you had in mind but I'm enjoying it so far! Other than the naui manuals, it's the first diving book I've read. I guess that means it could be the bottom of the barrel and I wouldn't know.

In my misspent youth, I worked as a commercial diver (harbor work) in Central America. Days not dedicated to barnacle removal were more often than not give over to a passion for spearfishing - Caribbean not Pacific. Still there were lots of snapper, grouper, mackerel as well as bugs and crabs. The premise of living off of your hunting success as Mr. Eyles attempts to do for a summer off of Catalina island has always had a very visceral connection with me. This is diving's equivalent of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not only is west coast free diving / spear fishing history a theme, but the book also has universal appeal - that of the hunting man - a solitary and independent sort, living on society's fringe.

I picked up my copy of LotBWH at Austin's Dive Center in Miami (still a spear fisherman's dream store) back in 1986. I had no idea that it had become that much of a collector's book. Mine is dogeared with a bit of foxing from too many readings, some with wet hands having just returned from a dive. I still regularly read it, and it has earned a permanent spot on my nightstand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom