What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too. I love them. We do them almost weekly. But to hear him brag about how unique and special he was for doing a drift dive, just told me he has no idea what impressive or challenging really is. He was puffed out, and showing off for his buddies. The only problem was that he either wasn't a diver, or he had a basic cert and few dives. One of those who like to pretend they know everything. He had no idea what I was talking about.

I know divers who Do know everything. I love listening and learning from them. This guy, nah.

It's not that unusual for someone with about 50 dives to start feeling like they've got it all figured out ... especially if they're in possession of a card that calls them a "Master Diver". It usually takes a couple hundred dives before they start to realize how much there is out there to learn that they weren't even aware of.

I understand ... if I had all the answers today that I had back then, I'd consider myself an expert too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not that unusual for someone with about 50 dives to start feeling like they've got it all figured out ... especially if they're in possession of a card that calls them a "Master Diver". It usually takes a couple hundred dives before they start to realize how much there is out there to learn that they weren't even aware of.

I understand ... if I had all the answers today that I had back then, I'd consider myself an expert too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yup. Those are ones who are my pet peeves. I have to smile and walk away........
We had one of these guys, he was always at the shop and just aggravated me constantly. He finally took some time off, got a lot more dives, trained more, adn suddenly was a very cool, unobtrusive guy. He went on to Rescue and DM, and made a damn fine dm. They aren't lost causes, not all of them.

How about divers who underweight themselves saying they only need __ pounds, forgetting a near empty tank is positively buoyantm,and who then spend the dive kicking to stay down, such their air quickly, can't do a safety stop, and don't even know they are a pain in the ass? I'll have to put that in our next book.
DivemasterDennis

How about divers who underweight themselves saying they only need __ pounds, forgetting a near empty tank is positively buoyantm,and who then spend the dive kicking to stay down, such their air quickly, can't do a safety stop, and don't even know they are a pain in the ass? I'll have to put that in our next book.
DivemasterDennis

Agree. It drives me nuts when our dive team makes a recommendation on weight, and the diver is too stubborn to even find middle ground. This applies mostly to divers who have not been wet for a few years. Gets in, then does above quoted activities for the whole dive.

My pet peeve is that I live in Houston, an hour from the Gulf of Mexico and there is no shore diving! I have to pay money to dive in the small shallow quarry's around here or take a boat trip out into the Gulf.

My pet peeve is that I live in Houston, an hour from the Gulf of Mexico and there is no shore diving! I have to pay money to dive in the small shallow quarry's around here or take a boat trip out into the Gulf.

Just put on your gear and crawl in from Bolivar or Galveston :). Watch out for the Ships!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The more I learn the more I find I need to learn. Dang its a big ol cycle.
Sometimes wish I'd stayed at OW level and hadn't found this website then I'd be happy in my ignorance :)

Yup. Those are ones who are my pet peeves. I have to smile and walk away........
We had one of these guys, he was always at the shop and just aggravated me constantly. He finally took some time off, got a lot more dives, trained more, adn suddenly was a very cool, unobtrusive guy. He went on to Rescue and DM, and made a damn fine dm. They aren't lost causes, not all of them.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I think all divers go through a similar process though, to be fair:
OW cert, a few dives, get a bit of confidence, 30, 40, 50 dives in and no problems, "I'm totally awesome at this", and then at some point (could be 70 dives, 100 dives, 1000 dives) something makes them realise how little they actually know, arrogance/overconfidence is quickly replaced by humbleness, then the REAL learning begins. A good instructor or mentor can really speed that process along. I wish it was like this for all divers, but unfortunately not everyone gets past the "I'm awesome" stage. It's their lost.

My pet peeve?
Divers with a camera who employ the "chase & snap" method.
1) They chase the subject, cutting in front of other photographers, abandoning their buddies, throwing all safety precaution to the wind, etc..
2) Scare the subject away, kick up silt, crash the coral, while firing off as many shots as possible, then leave the scene, having destroyed any possibility for any others to get a shot.

They're the ones who proudly say things like "Can you see it? Right over here? It swam away at the last moment!", after the dive when back on the boat showing off to their friends.

Do you know what's worse then that ? Living on Galveston and not being able to dive in the water 100 yards from you.... It just kills you slowly

The more I learn the more I find I need to learn. Dang its a big ol cycle.
Sometimes wish I'd stayed at OW level and hadn't found this website then I'd be happy in my ignorance :)

Not me ... there's a lot of satisfaction in learning. I'm down in Florida right now learning how to dive sidemount. It's been an amazing week, taking me places inside the caves I never thought I'd even want to see, much less actually go there.

That's the attraction of diving, to my concern. I have well over 2,000 dives in Puget Sound alone ... and I still see things there I've never seen before, and still find myself coming to whole levels of understanding that I'd never suspected before.

It never ends, really, unless you decide you want it to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom