What Are Your "Pro-Tips" for Safety, Redundancy, and Accident Handling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most serious one was the diver who spent the entire first dive of the trip (after the check-out dive) playing with his new camera. As he tried to pull the last breath from his tank, the DM saw him with his wide, panicked eyes and gave the diver his octopus (buddy had long since left him because of his fixation on his new toy). The diver admitted back on deck that he had not looked at his SPG during the dive.
The other two incidents were more "extremely low on air"; one was at 300 psi at 90 feet and the other was at 400 psi at around 70-80 feet. In both cases they talked after the dive of just following the group and assuming that everything was fine from an air standpoint and a nitrogen loading standpoint. Neither factored in their own air consumption by simply looking at their SPG. Going forward they were much better monitoring both psi remaining and nitrogen loading. As an instructor, these experiences created great teaching discussions. First, don't play with new toys until you are very comfortable with your abilities and, even then, don't let the toy distract you from your primary concern, air and nitrogen status. Also, just because all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you? In other words, what the group is or is not doing is not as important as how you are doing. Make sure you are always ok, then pay attention to the group so you don't get separated and you get to see the cool stuff they might see.
In short, all three were operator error in a big way.
Do the recreational agencies include any specific procedures or guidance for the time interval at which to check your computer and air pressure?

Do the recreational agencies include any specific procedures or guidance for the time interval at which to check your computer and air pressure?
Not sure about anything specific from various agencies but it's safe to say that the general rule is: Pre-Dive and then Early and OFTEN. If you have an audible alarm on your computer, which most do, then set it!

Not sure about anything specific from various agencies but it's safe to say that the general rule is: Pre-Dive and then Early and OFTEN. If you have an audible alarm on your computer, which most do, then set it!
"often" is subjective, and I'd argue that a new dive in particular does not know what "often enough" is. Saying to check your SPG every 5 minutes or 10 minutes creates something that they can actually measure their adherence too. If the dive times ends in either 0 or 5 I should check my pressure, and if they see it says "7" then they know they've missed their check and should check it then and get back on an established rhythm.

"often" is subjective, and I'd argue that a new dive in particular does not know what "often enough" is. Saying to check your SPG every 5 minutes or 10 minutes creates something that they can actually measure their adherence too. If the dive times ends in either 0 or 5 I should check my pressure, and if they see it says "7" then they know they've missed their check and should check it then and get back on an established rhythm.
The question above was asking if agencies provide any specific guidance or procedures for the time interval at which to check you computer / air pressure. I can't speak for other agencies, but the PADI Instructor Manual for the OW course states exactly:

"Monitor your air supply by looking at your pressure gauge/computer every few minutes."

This is also subjective as to what the term "few" means.

I personally check my primary pressure quite often (every minute or two) and my redundant (pony) pressure at the beginning, middle, once I begin my ascent and at any planned stops. I also tend to check even more often when depth or duration increases.

My audible alarm is typically set for 700psi. Also, I'm an old boomer who still uses an AI console (Pro Plus 3). For the many divers who use wrist mount comps with wireless transceiver, my guess is that they take a glance at their pressure VERY often since it is usually right there in front of them.

One other thing not mentioned here is checking pressure pre-task. If I know that I'm about to engage in a task that may require more effort and attention, then I ALWAYS check my gas to make sure that I feel I have enough for the task.

The question above was asking if agencies provide any specific guidance or procedures for the time interval at which to check you computer / air pressure. I can't speak for other agencies, but the PADI Instructor Manual for the OW course states exactly:

"Monitor your air supply by looking at your pressure gauge/computer every few minutes."

This is also subjective as to what the term "few" means.
(Evil) GUE teaches to estimate gas consumption in 5 minute intervals in Rec1, underwater. So that would be the minimum frequency.

RAID has the same suggestion as PADI.

There is such thing as checking gas too much, you can become too focused on the SPG.

What's more important is to compare your expected gas consumption, estimated based on depth, dive time and maybe conditions, with what the SPG is showing. If it's showing too much gas left, maybe it's broken. If it's showing less than expected, maybe you have a leak. If it's showing what you would expect, you can use it to plan how much time you have left underwater.

(Evil) GUE teaches to estimate gas consumption in 5 minute intervals in Rec1, underwater. So that would be the minimum frequency.
To elaborate, the 5-minute check is of equipment, environment, and team. Evaluating the exposure (avg depth, time, deco obligation), pressure, and valves (ensuring everything is open or closed as appropriate).

Team formation, comfort, and environmental changes (current changes, etc.)

One other thing not mentioned here is checking pressure pre-task. If I know that I'm about to engage in a task that may require more effort and attention, then I ALWAYS check my gas to make sure that I feel I have enough for the task.
This is good advice. I think I do the same thing, but never really thought about it "as a thing".

Before I do something "different" it makes sense to pause for a moment, check air, check deco status etc, and THEN decide if this is something that should be attempted. I always glance at the spg before I go in an overhead, even if I "know" the tank is full.

I remember a long time ago, I found an anchor at the end of the dive and proceeded to recover it, sending it up on a lift bag, I was so embarrassed and disappointed, to then decide to look at my pressure gage and find that I had way less than I wanted. Simply because I didn't consider the consumption of air the lift bag represented. It is nothing at the beginning of the dive, but pretty stupid not to consider it at the very end.

I suppose I check at about 5 minute intervals. Before I look I guess. I don't like it if my guess is 100 psi off the gauge.

I will check less frequently when the air still plenty, beginning of a dive. Once the air below 50%, I will check more frequently like every two to three minutes. That's me. 🤦🏻

Back
Top Bottom