What BCD can you recommand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only took 8 posts before the BP/W crowd chimes in, when the OP made it clear she was not interested in a backplate. Its almost a religion.

Any of the back inflate BCs mentioned above should fit her desires.

I'm sorry I hadn't seen the part of no BP/W. (I'm also tired of those automatic "BP/W is the best" answer or/and "you need a HOG regulator")
Why I mainly offered the BP/W anyways is that... Seriously, 2 BCDs punctured? :confused:

To puncture a Wing, you need to go through the OUTER SHELL, and through the INNER SHELL... someone really has to try hard for that to happen.

Maybe a durable wing would be a better investment than buying ANOTHER 500$ BCD and getting it punctured again. Who knows, maybe the OP swims with mean Marlins all the time. :idk:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The express TECH IMO the best solution in this case. It would be a good solution. Replaceable wings in case of puncture ...:wink:

Furthermore, Back-Inflated BCDs are by definition BP/W, with extra bulk.
1) They have a hard back .
2) They have a back inflating wing.

I was really yanking your chain.

Lots of reasons for individual selections of equipment. Tec divers need the BP/W options. I understand that.

On the other hand, as a recreational diver, I really like my BCD (poodle jacket). It fits well, has an integrated weight system that won't accidentally release, trim weight pockets, large zipper storage pockets, lots of stainless steel rings for securing equipment. I am well balanced underwater and easily maintain an upright posture on the surface.

I've never had a BC leak.

For answering g1138, my Origin Sport was new when I bought it, and the replacement was also new. The shop was in Egypt. The 3rd time, I went in France, and they gave me the Rover BCD in replacement.
I was not throwing it in a pile when coming back on the boat, I was rinsing it even 2 times a day for the 2nd one. The 1st last around 6 month, and the 2nd... 6 weeks. Find it hard to believe or not, that's what happened :). At the time, I think I posted on SB about this problem.
I used it a bit in pool, but principally in the sea.
Here in the Maldives, I dive with a shorty 3mm, and use 2 to 4 kg of weight (2-3 for me, 1 or 2 I can give to guests)... less than 20lbs for sure (if I'm correct, it's around 9kg? if it is, it would be HUGE for here).

Thank you victorzamora, now I know how to say it in english :)

Thank you also to the others that gave some ideas, I will look for some info about these BCDs. And if anybody has some other suggestions, keep posting :D

4kg is about 8lbs. Most stock BC's in XS have a lift range of 18-30lbs (8-14kg), so unless you're carrying deco tanks or a ton of extra weight for your students, I think any XS small size will do.

Back inflates are nice because they leave your front more open (usually) and they allow to to stay more horizontal when you need to.
I looked up that other post you had previously written. My uni's gear locker is stocked with Mares Flight and Spirit BCs, and I have noticed leaking at the collar of some, particularly the more used Spirits. Though it's to less of an extent to what you had pointed out.

With the way you described taking care of your equipment (which it sounds very caring and thorough), the only thing I can think to suggest is trying not to fully inflate the BC unless you need to. Having the BC bladder full and being rocked by the ocean waves can place more unneeded stress, which over time can take it's toll along with the constant use you put it through.

I don't like recommending BC's unless I know what type of diving or what habits a diver has. There's plenty of suggestions already so I guess that will do.
If you just want a BC for the sake of having buoyancy compensation then something like the Scubapro Litehawk or Zeagle Express tech is a fine choice. Although it might be very different from what your students will probably use, they probably won't notice unless you point it out.

If you need storage pockets, then you should look more into other BC's such as the Scubapro Lady Hawk or Zeagle Stiletto.
Keep in mind weight integrated pockets and weightbelts compatibility with your BC if you plan on teaching students one way or both ways. With Zeagle weight integrated pockets you can't demonstrate pocket removal and replace, because they use a string system or a velcro dump system. So no actual removable pockets.

Most important in my mind is getting a BC that you can easily service at in your area. If no shops service your brand then you're pretty much left high and dry.

I will also recommend Zeagle Express Tech or something like DiveRite Transpac with proper size wing (say ~20lb). These type of BC is very customizable. You can add quick release weight pockets and/or storage pockets if that is something you want. Or you can have it as minimal as you want too.

Furthermore, Back-Inflated BCDs are by definition BP/W, with extra bulk.
1) They have a hard back .
2) They have a back inflating wing.

Not quite, there are plenty soft back back-inflates, and not all back-inflates can be taken apart. Most have their bladder sewn onto the backpad.
Zeagle happens to be an exception. They like to blur the lines more than the other manufacturers.

I wasn't talking about the concept of being modular.

I was saying the biggest advantage I saw in a BP/w is
1) A rigid Back
2) A Back Inflating wing

If there are removable or not, pocket or not, doesn't matter. The basic key concepts are there. BP/W is the minimalistic-modular approach. The back-inflated BCD is the consumer product approach. But both answer those key requirements.

I've tried 2-3 back inflated BCDs. Oceanic Excursion (i think), a KnightHawk & a TUSA imprex.
They all had a Rigid Plastic back hidden behind the big cushion(requirement 1) & a back inflated wing, removable or not (requirement 2)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A back-inflated bcd with a soft-back IMO is just...wrong
Even a jacket style BCD with a soft-back is wrong.

As you already know, short ladies are short in the waiste have not much room to anchor a weight belt above the hip bones even if they enjoy the experience.
A Zeagle Lazer will fit you properly in size X-Small or Small and you can have a different size shoulder pannel if your size dictates the need. It can be had with any of Zeagle's bladder sizes of 24 ,30, 35, 44 or 60# lift.
Zeagle's Ripcord weight system offers a single point release and is the best and safest in the industry.
These are super durable and built to last.

I really hate to be the devil's advocate but I think explanations are good to other readers (present and future), whenever you make a strong statement.

A back-inflated bcd with a soft-back IMO is just...wrong
Even a jacket style BCD with a soft-back is wrong.

Could you explain why you think so?
I happen to feel no real difference between hard-back stock BC's and soft-back, performance wise. Most all have a hard tank-plate regardless. Those that don't are semi-rigid but become more or less a hard-back once your strap a tank in.

Capt.Gene:
Zeagle's Ripcord weight system offers a single point release and is the best and safest in the industry.
Easiest and one of the most reliable systems in the industry would be my description. One pull and the weights' dumped, that's easy. However restringing it the wrong way could cause it to not work properly and you can't ditch weight as easily outside a non-head-up position with the Ripcord (compared to pull-tab pockets). Wouldn't call that the best.
A really good strong point about it is, it's very hard to inadvertently have your weight dumped.

My 2 cents.

I really hate to be the devil's advocate but I think explanations are good to other readers (present and future), whenever you make a strong statement.

Could you explain why you think so?
I happen to feel no real difference between hard-back stock BC's and soft-back, performance wise. Most all have a hard tank-plate regardless. Those that don't are semi-rigid but become more or less a hard-back once your strap a tank in.

Easiest and one of the most reliable systems in the industry would be my description. One pull and the weights' dumped, that's easy. However restringing it the wrong way could cause it to not work properly and you can't ditch weight as easily outside a non-head-up position with the Ripcord (compared to pull-tab pockets). Wouldn't call that the best.
A really good strong point about it is, it's very hard to inadvertently have your weight dumped.

My 2 cents.

If you can intentionally re-rig the ripcord incorrectly, without using a sewing machine, and still hold weights in the pockets please tell me how you did it. Really .
I find it somewhat unlikley that a diver would be upside down in the water column and ditching weights to make an emergency ascent, but the pockets are pleated and larger at the bottom than they are at the top. They might dump anyway.

Back
Top Bottom