What can you make out of neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i took it tp my LDS, they have a professional sewing machine in the shop, and they said there's no way. It ripped at the bottom of one of the legs, around the bottom seem. It caught on a nail on a dock at one of our local dive parks. There's just nothing to sew it back to. There are a lot of good suggetsions. Thanks guys.

Seattle fabrics sells all different color and thickness of neoprene, melco tape, aquaseal and neoprene cement. Cut off the damaged part and fabricate a repair. You would be surprised how easy it is. I just did a total remodel of a neoprene dry suit for less than $100 (replaced the boots and neoprene seals with latex seals) and it looks and works great. If you use the neoprene cement and back both sides with melco tape you don't need to do any sewing. What have you got to loose?

Steve

You can cut it up and use it for padding. One of my friends made a nice wooden guitar case with neoprene to cradle the neck and sides of the guitar.

I made a bunch of regulator covers and a computer cover. helps take some abuse during transport......

That's a great idea. I recently made covers by cutting a sherwood neoprene mask strap in half (its designed to go over the silicon strap on the mask) and using it to store my sk7 compass and suunto vytec. It's a little tight with the dss bungee mounts but they are protected now.

As lots have said, gluing and melco will fix anything in neoprene.
I've made hoods, sprayskirts, and glue on pockets from neoprene in the past.
I fail to see how a tear is unrepairable... YMMV of course...
worst case you could make some smelly mouse mats! But that's a waste of good rubber.
R

I forgot to put this in my last post...It sounds like the shop just wants to sell you a new set suit. It's hard to believe it's unrepairable. Who cares if it's not too pretty - it just needs to be functional.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom