What dive city would you live in for 6 months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Exactly what I was hoping for, to expand my research areas. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are now on my list. Also Puerto Rico.

Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. I was originally thinking of trying to work remotely for a US company doing computer helpdesk support while working on my certifications. Then maybe quiting my job after getting a divemaster cert and working full time on a dive boat if I can find the work.

I've found a number of companies that do 4-8 week divemaster internships for $1000 - $2000. I've got the money to do them and that seems like a great way to get experience on a dive boat. I'm now thinking of doing one and then looking for a dive job full time. Anyone have any thoughts on how realistic this is? I know some contries make it hard for foreigners to work. Anyone know about divemaster internships. I've seen a number on Roatan. Are they worth the time. Again, I'm not really looking at making a lifetime career change. Just 6 months or so living a dream.

thanks for all the great input.

I could be wrong but from what I've researched, Mexico is really had to obtain any type of work permit. They don't want to give jobs to Americans when Mexicans can do the job. I believe most Caribbean islands are pretty much the same as Mexico. If I'm wrong please correct me. I'm pretty much in the same boat as DLADOWITZ. I'd love to move abroad and work on a boat!

If you are considering HI, my first thought was Kailua-Kona too, hey I like it here.
It does have at least one DM program that I know of at Jacks and quite a few OP’s or opportunity for employment – don’t know how that all works tho.
Kona is a central location vs operators spread out around the island (for the most part.)
Year round tropical diving with plenty shore diving to explore and lots topside to check out. Nearby islands to visit for their flavor (they are really different creatures.)

TBI anyway is really more of an English speaking 2nd world country. Took me a while to realize just what the bumper sticker saying ‘you’re not on the mainland any more’ really meant. Kona is pretty civilized but no freeways Kona side and not far out of it, it’s quite different,
Cost of living is high but gee, you’re going to be making a lot more money than I do to live on.
It is not uncommon for long term visitors here ie Triathletes, free divers ect come here to train and then the Snowbirds. It’s not all high rise condos and hotels for lodging, Ohana’s abound. I’ve one, if the roomie moves out your situation would be exactly what I’d be gearing it to. Wouldn’t need to bring anything but dive gear and work equipment – Ross is dirt cheap for clothes and can’t beat Longs, KTA for slippa’s and CostCo 6 months size just about everything else.

The reason I brought up Guam / Singapore earlier is because by in large diving in the South Pacific / South East Asia is a whole lot better than in the Caribbean.

The quality of Reefs, the amount of biodiversity, the possibility of seeing large animals is generally higher. The Caribbean is not bad, it's just not in the same league in terms of ecology/environmental condition.

If I were planning a move like yourself, I personally would not use this valuable opportunity just to do the Caribbean.

A.)South Pacific / SE Asia will probably be more interesting topside. SE Asia is full of young international backpackers and is local to a exotic culture.

B.)The diving is much much better.

C.)It's farther. I.E. it's hard and expensive to get to, so it makes more sense to go for an extended time. Coz. is so easy to get to, why not just fly down more often?

How about Marathon in the Keys, or Key Largo? Not cities exactly, but accessible to cities. Or, for that matter, Fort Lauderdale or somewhere near there? Marathon has excellent local diving and you are within an hour or so of many other great options in two directions.

Ok so I've now evolved into splitting this trip up. I've been looking at Divemaster internships and have decided thats what I should do for 4-8 weeks. It seems like the best way to get experience on a boat. After that I'll go to some great dive city that has very good internet service. (I'll need internet and Voice over IP to work remotely for my firm in the US).
I've seen Roatan has a number of divemaster internships that look good.

I'm going to focus this question a bit:

If you where going to volunteer on a boat for 2 months where would it be?
If you where going to live in a city for 4 months (requiring DSL speed internet) to dive and explore the culture where would it be?

So far I'm looking at Roatan for the internship and Cozumel for the rest. I don't really know the differences in what types of diving there is between Central America, The Caribbean and Southest Asia

again thanks for all the help so far everyone

Ok so I've now evolved into splitting this trip up. I've been looking at Divemaster internships and have decided thats what I should do for 4-8 weeks. It seems like the best way to get experience on a boat. After that I'll go to some great dive city that has very good internet service. (I'll need internet and Voice over IP to work remotely for my firm in the US).
I've seen Roatan has a number of divemaster internships that look good.

I'm going to focus this question a bit:

If you where going to volunteer on a boat for 2 months where would it be?
If you where going to live in a city for 4 months (requiring DSL speed internet) to dive and explore the culture where would it be?

So far I'm looking at Roatan for the internship and Cozumel for the rest. I don't really know the differences in what types of diving there is between Central America, The Caribbean and Southest Asia

again thanks for all the help so far everyone

Good idea...
I would think about Cocoview, Roatan for the DM internship. It sounds like a good, inexpensive program with diving every day.

Cozumel is all drift diving (different from Roatan) and as a non-Mexican, you aren't going to get a job working for a dive op. There are too many rules and regs from what I have been told. I know some people who have done it for a short time, but couldn't do it long. As far as the quality of internet connection, don't know... I know there are some internet cafes on the island but I don't think they are DSL quality. I would visit the island to decide if you think you could live there first.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom