What do Commercial Divers think of Recreational Tech Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who progressed from recreational to tech to commercial diving, all from a love of being and working underwater, my personal (and thus, not necessarily right) opinion is that all three are different fields.
As a dive instructor I sometimes dive mastered boat trips and had commercial divers diving for fun.. they were not the best recreational divers. Being used to being in an upright position and having a constant air supply they had problems with buoyancy, and used up air rather quickly and often damaged a lot of the coral because of a need to be standing on something... now this was not ALWAYS so, so don't think I am saying a blanket statement. I also knew tech divers who tried commercial diving and found it was not their world.
And there are many of us who probably should have gills and just love being underwtater no matter what we are doing or what the vis. I have met many.
I agree with many postings here, they are different worlds, different requirements etc. And I hate it when one thinks they are better than another. Commercial divers may think techies are dorks, I think they must love it because they don't get paid, and many commercial divers won't get wet unless there is $ involved.
The main connection should be, as DeepSeaDan says: safety. How can we learn and help each other. There are some things that are just not meant to be done without a compressor and hoses and a chamber nearby, no matter how many tanks you have with you. And some things you can't do with an umbilical attached to you.
But for a commercial diver to automatically think he/she can plan a safe tech dive (cave for ex.) or a scuba diver to think he/she can do the job of a commercial diver with a couple of tanks... that's just playing with your life.

Very well said, DeepSeaDan. I think commercial diving vs. tecreational diving are apples and oranges. I must admit, though, that after participating in the salvage of a 40,000 lb aircraft I have a great deal of respect for those who make thier living underwater :).

I agree that not wanting to do the dive in the first place isn't good....but their not wanting to do the dive had nothing to do with what caused the string of problems.

A file cabinet/bookshelf (can't remember exactly) fell on the younger one. It took them 20-30 minutes to get it off of him...which is why their planned bottom time was exceeded. They got confused...and went out the wrong way...so they couldn't find their deco tanks, and had to surface prematurely.

How does that have to do with not wanting to do the dive?

How about diving air instead of a mix to save money, narced can easily = confused and lead to panic, especially a dark narc.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note this thread was from 2003 and the previous responses were from 2007. If ya'll still wish to discuss, carry on...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note this thread was from 2003 and the previous responses were from 2007. If ya'll still wish to discuss, carry on...

Kinda figured that out when I saw Pipedope's comments ... he died in 2006 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom