What do lung expansion injuries feel like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I don't think they could get confused. AGE doesn't cause low oxygen tensions in the blood, and it wouldn't cause an x-ray that looked like pulmonary edema:

ef3a23eddf31faee980a4011d9d5ee_big_gallery.jpg

Note that, in comparison with the lung fields in the prior x-rays, this one looks fluffy and congested and not nearly as transparent. That's because the lung tissue is full of fluid and not air.

Many thanks for that. Indeed, that does rather resemble my x-ray from a couple years ago - minus the pace maker or whatever that gadget is.

Cheers,
John

Many thanks for that. Indeed, that does rather resemble my x-ray from a couple years ago - minus the pace maker or whatever that gadget is.

Cheers,
John
That looks like an in-line spinner:

lure.jpeg
It looks like that diver fell for the oldest trick in the book. He's lucky the fisherman threw him back or he might have never made it to the x-ray table.

Hi there. Realise this is an old thread but I only just came across it...for what it's worth, when I had a lung overexpansion injury from diving with a chest infection (back in the days when I was too green and stoopid to tell my boss I was too sick to dive), the first symptoms were pains in my side. I actually thought I'd pulled a couple of intercostal muscles lugging tanks about until it got worse over a couple of days and started to affect my breathing. They id'd it with a chest xray and I stayed out of the water for six weeks while it healed. I was very very lucky....in a hole-in-my-lung kind of way.

It feels like Heart-Attack pain. My Elder brother told me that.

It feels like Heart-Attack pain. My Elder brother told me that.

It depends on the specifics of the injury. It may feel like that in some instances, but in others there is little to no immediate sensation of discomfort.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom