What do you all think???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluthundr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Posted up a few days ago about getting my first dive camera, abeit a relatively cheap one. I don't really have any experience with Photoshop, so I looked at some of the tutorials I found in here and played with it a bit.

This is before and after photoshopping shots of a picture I took today. What do you all think?

Before:

1.jpg
pic_2243_3529.jpg

After:

pic_2243_3530.jpg

2.jpg

Have you tried using underwater setting on your camera, if you have one? That helps with the light and compensates for the color loss.

With something like this, after fixing the green tint and decreasing the sharpness and whatnot, I would cheat a little. I would decrease the distance between the two fish (not sure how much, maybe 1/2), and i would offset them more from the background --now you have green fish on a green background. And crop in tight.

Keep at this photo - I like it.

One thing that I'd try doing is to select just the fish and auto-levels on them to make them "pop". If you're good at adjusting the levels on your own, you may prefer this over the auto-levels (though they're _usually_ good in many situations).

You'd then want to adjust the levels of the background to have them stand out a bit less than the fish. The fish, of course, should be the focus of the piece, not the background so much.

Getting good with level adjustment is an important photoshop skill.

Good luck!

undefined:
May I post an edited copy of your photo for comparison?

Go for it!

I played with it a bit more last nite after looking at some more tutorials and downloading some macros. I think this is gonna be rather difficult for me as I'm pretty significantly color blind... :(

As for the rest of the advice, thank you - I'll try it out.

To answer someone's question: no, my camera doesn't have an underwater mode. I've been playing around with auto and manual modes, flash settings, iso, etc.

A little CS2 fun - nothing major. Sorry if I went overboard on saturation.

snapshot_edited.jpg

I'm new to PS2, but here's my attempt, including a bit of cropping and blurring of the background.

Attachments

• 2fish.jpg
    2fish.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom