What do you do to help our oceans/waterways?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KazooDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Having gotten back from my marine aquarium club meeting, where we were talking about having a speaker from the Coral Reef Task-force come and talk about what they are doing for our coral reefs, I got to thinking.....
What is it that I do?

So of course I am interested in what is that other do...what organizations do you support, and other things...

Maybe we can inspire others to do more or to do something different.

Thanks everyone!

I participate in the occasional underwater trash cleanup, occasional beach cleanups, help out with underwater restoration of a nearby freshwater spring populated by endangered species, sign petitions and write e-letters sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund, and monetarily contribute to the grassroots environmental group "Texas Clean Water Action".

I also teach a coral reef ecology class in the Bahamas; there are environmental stewardship components and we perform fishcount surveys for R.E.E.F.

Oh yeah and I write dreary, mind-numbing diatribes on ScubaBoard regarding the marine environment.

I pick-up and dispose of any trash I can while diving.

sasscuba:
I pick-up and dispose of any trash I can while diving.

Same here. Since I live a long way from salt water, the best I can do is cleanup MY waters. Since they eventually empty into the ocean, it's something.

FD

Reef Check

REEF

Fight with Whaling supporters,... try and befriend them and change their minds.

Brainwash my children.

I won't eat seafood. Does that count?

Dave

Reef Check & do the Avalon Habor cleanup
I am also going to get involved w/ Santa Monica Baykeepers

Hi Catherine,
I Didn't know you are a part of R.C. also

Happy Diving
John

Try to dive with respect.
And same, picking up garbages.

A timely topic ... one of our local papers is running a series of articles on how much trouble Puget Sound is in at the moment. Those of us who dive have reason for concern ... but Puget Sound is the life blood of our area in so many more ways than simply recreation. And the recovery ... if it ever comes ... will be costly indeed.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/specials/brokenpromises/287994_marinedesert09.asp?source=mypi

What am I doing to help? Well, mostly it's unrelated to diving. I work for the Public Works department of the second largest City in the Puget Sound area ... one that dumps millions of gallons of treated wastewater and (mostly untreated) storm water into Puget Sound every day. Some of the projects I've been working on result in better practices for treating runoff through the use of holding ponds and bioswales to prevent the pollution from ever reaching the Sound. Ironically, the water from our two treatment plants is actually cleaner and healthier than the surrounding areas of Puget Sound into which it is going ... one of our outfall pipes has become a popular dive site because it's such a haven for life. But given the explosive growth and development in our area, it's a piddle in a rainstorm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JMdiver:
Reef Check & do the Avalon Habor cleanup
I am also going to get involved w/ Santa Monica Baykeepers

Hi Catherine,
I Didn't know you are a part of R.C. also

Happy Diving
John

Well, I had a fundraiser at my house. Or Gregor did, I should say...Desperate Housewive's Ryan Cairnes and Barbie Benton....Also, I did some photography and helped a bit with the Kelly Slater event. I have been slacking on the Honolulu Marathon event though and not involved. I did a reef survey with...blanking now on his name over at the Kelly Slater thing. Very fun organization with some great people.:)

I love counting indicator species and dragging transect lines! Wish I had more time to attend more surveys.

Is run-off the biggest problem Bob?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom