What do you do when the anchor line breaks free?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno. At least when this happened to me (in the OP), I let out enough line so there was enough scope, and sat on the bag on the surface, making myself buoyant after finishing deco.
Our definitions or "current" are significantly different here

And even scootering into the current under a bag, might not be preferable if other divers don't have scooters and have to drift. Scootering into the current might just separate the group more, but it depends on current and how long the hang is, of course.
If a group without scooters was on a bag, then the scooter people could stay close to them. But scootering with an SMB up is pointless and there's too much going on to really be safe. Plus you can also end up going places and directions which either don't make sense to the boat skipper or separate you even worse from other groups and SMBs. Just drift it at that point and all the SMBs will stay as close together as plausible (sometimes not very close)

If a group without scooters was on a bag, then the scooter people could stay close to them. But scootering with an SMB up is pointless and there's too much going on to really be safe. Plus you can also end up going places and directions which either don't make sense to the boat skipper or separate you even worse from other groups and SMBs. Just drift it at that point and all the SMBs will stay as close together as plausible (sometimes not very close)
I almost never scooter without the scooter being tethered to a long floatline and big float on the surface. In 3 kt currents, it can be a lot of fun, LOL. So if I didn't have that, I assume I could tow an SMB without much trouble if I kept the line taunt, but we agree, just stay together as you drift off, each person or team having their own smb.

I almost never scooter without the scooter being tethered to a long floatline and big float on the surface. In 3 kt currents, it can be a lot of fun, LOL. So if I didn't have that, I assume I could tow an SMB without much trouble if I kept the line taunt, but we agree, just stay together as you drift off, each person or team having their own smb.
You were on a boat that was formerly moored to a wreck. You have an SMB up and who knows about everyone else, presumably since bringing an SMB was a requirement (?) of the charter they have one up too. Which direction are you going to scooter mid-water and why?

Back
Top Bottom