What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

• Too dark, too dangerous, no way.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Why would you dive to look at rocks and mud?

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • I'd do caverns, but not full cave penetration.

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • It is challenging and exciting.

Votes: 77 44.3%
  • I am only happy when wedged in a deep dark hole.

Votes: 27 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I fully appreciate the fascination and appeal of wreck diving.... was just making assumptions on how cave would offer a simular attraction.

Less marine life, but substitute geological interest for historical interest.

The main appeal, that I can speculate, is that virgin wrecks and virgin caves (along with unclimbed mountains or trips to Mars)..offer an individual the chance to be the first.

I suppose that that motivation ("Because it's there" --George Mallory) and to be the first will always be the end-all justification to such an endeavor. To each his own in a personal Zen kind of way: it's the journey that's more important than the destination. . .

Absolutely loving it. Looking forward to going further but I am definitely enjoying the journey. I'm cavern certified but will begin Intro to Cave in September/October. Currently funding the additional gear required while enjoying the reefs, wrecks, holes, and walls of the big blue. The great thing about diving is I can enjoy all safely with proper training. This real choice is which dive to do next.

If cave diving is crazy to you, what do you think is crazy to a cave diver?:eyebrow:

Life is short, Be safe!
Keith

If cave diving is crazy to you, what do you think is crazy to a cave diver?:eyebrow:

Telling your wife what you actually paid for cave training, all that gear, and TMX fills...

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
Telling your wife what you actually paid for cave training, all that gear, and TMX fills...

Oh, man, is this true. I slipped and let Peter know how much Cave 2 is costing me . . . and now it's costing me more :D

Yeah, I fully appreciate the fascination and appeal of wreck diving.... was just making assumptions on how cave would offer a simular attraction.

Less marine life, but substitute geological interest for historical interest.

The main appeal, that I can speculate, is that virgin wrecks and virgin caves (along with unclimbed mountains or trips to Mars)..offer an individual the chance to be the first.
Being the first is not it for me (20-30 late for the most part) but you can still go places where not many people go, and maybe more importantly get a sens eof accomplishment from having the skills to go to and return from places that most people would get killed trying to reach.

There is also a solitude issue that is very appealing.

And I noted during my intro class on a diver in Little River at the Florida room just entering deco that I was way back in a cave, 90 ft deep, in deco, in a situation where a normal person should be worried - but I was incredibly relaxed.

I think that results from the control that comes from cave diving where the planning, preparation, personal discipline and training are such that it is not an extreme sport as much as a controlled risk sport where you are able to set and control the parameters and risks you are willing to accept and the level of redundancy is such that any single catastrphic failure (short of a geologic event) is normally readily surviveable.

Wreck diving has way too many variables both above and below the surface that preclude that same level of control.

If you were in deco during intro you were already breaking many rules.:shakehead: You and your instructor should have had better sense.

Being the first is not it for me (20-30 late for the most part) but you can still go places where not many people go, and maybe more importantly get a sens eof accomplishment from having the skills to go to and return from places that most people would get killed trying to reach.

There is also a solitude issue that is very appealing.

And I noted during my intro class on a diver in Little River at the Florida room just entering deco that I was way back in a cave, 90 ft deep, in deco, in a situation where a normal person should be worried - but I was incredibly relaxed.

I think that results from the control that comes from cave diving where the planning, preparation, personal discipline and training are such that it is not an extreme sport as much as a controlled risk sport where you are able to set and control the parameters and risks you are willing to accept and the level of redundancy is such that any single catastrphic failure (short of a geologic event) is normally readily surviveable.

Wreck diving has way too many variables both above and below the surface that preclude that same level of control.

yo

There should be actually yet another option in the Poll : Enjoying the beauty of nature

Matt

Wow this is an intresting thread. I've been in a couple of Mexican Cenotes and came out beaming - silly grins excitement all marvellous :) I've had the same feeling when on some wrecks in Scotland and I don't do penetration dives.

One question I have though is for those Cave divers who've done sump diving. As DevonDiver said already, caving a la UK is very different so what my question would be - what's the buzz with sump diving? I'd guess it's the thrill of exploration rather than quality of light, rock formations etc?

Back
Top Bottom