What do you think of this set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a nice kit.

jhbryaniv:
I am not a fan of retractors but if you like it run with it . . .

I've noticed a lot of people on the board don't like retractors. Why?

scubajay:
I just purchased most of my gear. This is what I have so far.

1. Regulator- Apex XTX 200
2. Octopus - Apex Egress
3. BCD - Seaquest Balance
4. Computer - Wrist Uwatec Aladin
5. Compass - Suunto SK7 on a retractor-Hooked to my left D-Ring
6. Primary Light - Underwater Kinetics Sunlight C8
7. Back up Light - Underwater Kinetics SL4 e-led on a retractor hooked to my bottom right D-Ring
9. Mask- Cressi Big eyes
10. Fins - Cressi open heel Frog
11. I also have an Uwatec mini SPG & Depth Gauge on a lanyard hooked on to my right D-Ring
12. Primary Knife - Tusa Imprex point tip
13. Backup Knife - Underwater Kinetics Remora compact BC Knife-blunt tip

Im still looking to get a dry suit but for now this is what I have. What do you think of my current set. Is there anything that I should change.

Seeing how you asked,

I would eventually, (and did myself ) swap out the Egress for a full secpond stage (hint an ATX50 makes a very good secondary and be dialed down to virtually eliminate any chance of a freeflow).

The rest looks like a pretty good rig. Althoug the balance lacks a few easily accessable D rings on the left hand side (hence the lanyard for the SPG/guage I assume -- but again just personal preference here) looks likes a pretty good BC.

I hope you get many many great dives out the rig.

Anony-mouse:
Looks like a nice kit.
I've noticed a lot of people on the board don't like retractors. Why?

A retractor has a few downsides.
First, if the recoiling spring loosens up (which many are prone do to) and the item the item clipped off catches current or is too heavy, it will pull away from the clip off point now you have a dangliing item, that is also hooked up to a metal line running thus diminishing your streamlining, and creating a potential entanglement point.

Secondly, while you are entending the item (a guage or light) for use you have this tiny metal line exposed that could get caught up and tangled in your diving rig, or other obstruction.

Finnally, most using a fine metal line (leader quality) that doesn't cut easily unless you have a good set of shears. Again entanglement is not a huge potential, but it's considered by many to ne yet anouther fault point.

You can get the same dangle free streamlined attitude in the water buy simply having a well layouted out BC with readily accessable D rings, and using good quality stainless steel snap bolt clips. They are stronger, more reliable, and present less failure points than a retractor. IMHO

I try to keep my rig as clean (clear of danglies, excess loose gear/straps/belts, as possible, and also try to keep things like attachement points D ring use as simple as possible. Snap Bolts are used to attach all my lights, guages, etc, and 1/4 bungee for my whistle (which gets looped into some old inner tube wrapped around my left shoulder strap to keep it from dangling as well) Just the way I dive. Find what works for you.

Cheers!

Sounds great, but it only really matters if YOU like it, not what anyone else thinks...

Have a great time diving! If you decide you don't want something, send it to me, I'm poor and need it more than anybody else...lol. :D

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom