What gear malfunctions have you ever had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.Broken mask strap - i know dive with 2 masks in my bag and extra straps.

2.BCD inflator came off in my hand while on the surface causing an uncontrolled descent - now i always carry a secondary floatation device on a dive.

3. Regulator failure at 40ft - always get regs serviced every year not every 4 and clean them properly.

4. Primary second stage blown off the hose on my doubles while in over head environment - thanks to training this was just a nuisance, switched to a backup, shutdown the first stage, picked my reg out of the dirt and screwed it back on, turn the gas back on and finished the dive. Lost about 500psi on dbl108s.

5. Flooded primary light headlamp twice in overhead - did the dive with a flooded light, as i had 2 backups.

6. Primary light failure in overhead - switched to my backup and finished the dive.

7. Fouled reel (my fault) - carry a backup.

8. Leaky second stage - carry a reg tuner in my save a dive kit.

9. Leaky LP hose - i carry extras in my reg bag.

10. Bit through the tab on my mouth piece for my second stage - carry extra mouth pieces in my save a dive and zip ties for quick changes.

Anything you dive with will fail, be prepare for it to fail. Check your gear during the post dive clean up and pre-dive prep, change anything that does not look right or seems off.

T

Sent using Tapatalk HD

How overweighted were you that you couldn't stay on the surface?

It was my first dive in steel, so about 10lbs over - now i do a weight check any time i change my gear. Now it takes a full exhale to start a descent, but i can still hold a 10ft safety stop.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Lpi continuosly inflating. Detached and used orally. Needed to buy new Lpi.
Broken mask strap. Keep spare mask now in car--easier than replacing strap while geared up & ready to go.
Knife lost from holster. Bought new one and attach knife to holster with fishing line just in case.
Wt. pocket clip busted in car. Did shallow dive careful that pocket didn't fall out. Bought new pocket.

Glass came out of my mask. Borrowed a spare they had on the boat. I now have a spare mask in my dive bag.

Within the last year:

flooded computer
snapped 2 mask straps
flooded a backup light
broken 2 drysuit wrist seals
broken 1 neck seal
broken 2 speargun shooting lines
broken at least 4 gun bands
broken 1 gun handle
broken 3 knife mounts/straps
broken weight pouch on old rig
leaking octo swivel on the old rig
leaking BCD inflators on old rig
2 LP hose failures/leaks
small valve leak on the doubles set

best ones:

Fouled a finger spool during my lost line drill evaluation (Yes, a finger spool. I was 3' away from the goldline when it happened!)
dislodged a tooth from holding a speargun too close
had a 1st stage fail at ~140' on a single tank this weekend

...and this isn't even counting all the stuff I've lost, dropped, or gifted to Poseidon over the last year. Some of my buddies still don't believe me when I say I'm a $^@% magnet!

During Advanced Open Water Nav Dive, my weight integrated weight belt came off and I had an uncontrolled ascend. Fortunely, it was only 3 meters.

During a dive in Lembeh Strait, the battery in my dive computer fried, taking the computer with it.

Other than that, nothing much has failed.

I've had masks kicked off. I had a purge valve mask that blew out ( I guess technically it blew in), and the mask was useless. I was down on a wreck at 80-90 feet with strong current when it happened. Plus, I was with my ex-husband, a terrible diver and he led me the wrong direction on the wreck. We ended up swimming all the way back to the other end of the wreck, against the current. not fun with a completely flooded mask.

Leaky BC, broken fin strap before diving,( pre-spring straps, leaky HP hose. Couple of free flows after I got pounded into the sand and had sand stuck in my regulator.
oh, was borrowing a Halcyon wing on a pool dive and it had a leaky inflator hose, which caused my wing to fill with air. That wasn't a big deal, just disconnect the inflator and fill orally. I was in the pool, too so not much danger of of a bad uncontrolled ascent.

* soft spring on a bolt snap sent a finger spool spiraling to the bottom *twice* on giant strides off of the same boat on the same day

* light flooded on its maiden dive - replaced with cheer

One funny one: We were diving Cow cave upstream. Completed the dive and went on deco tank in the basin. The other two wanted to dive downstream and I just wanted to stay on deco and wait. I was playing around with my new computer and checking out the fish. I turned my head and the reg and the mouth piece seperated. So here I am with the mouth piece in my mouth not knowing that the reg was laying on the bottom. Well did not know it until I took a breath in! I always check the zip ties now. No worries and was really laughing my ass off after the first shock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom