What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Manatee in the open waters outside the bay, just cruising thru a feild of sea grass. Also a couple of real big Jacks coming up to me like I owed them money(not exactly man eating) but a little strange just the same.

Runner up: Being followed by a dolphin in Eilat while doing my 800m snorkel swim for DM.

3) Humpback whale off Cabo San Lucas

2) Pair of dolphins mating. Though, mating was what you see on Discovery, this was more like skin-emax. Swam with them for about 2 hours, before during and after.

1) We were at Shark Alley, off Port Lucaya, GB, Bahamas, when a pod of dolphins swam up. I happened to be alone at the shark feeding spot, surrounded by about 15 reef sharks. Seven dolphins cruised in and one at a time, broke off from the group and started chasing the sharks around. Funniest thing I ever saw.

sharkbaitDAN:
Runner up: Being followed by a dolphin in Eilat while doing my 800m snorkel swim for DM.

3) Humpback whale off Cabo San Lucas

2) Pair of dolphins mating. Though, mating was what you see on Discovery, this was more like skin-emax. Swam with them for about 2 hours, before during and after.

1) We were at Shark Alley, off Port Lucaya, GB, Bahamas, when a pod of dolphins swam up. I happened to be alone at the shark feeding spot, surrounded by about 15 reef sharks. Seven dolphins cruised in and one at a time, broke off from the group and started chasing the sharks around. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Let me know where and when you are going next...

Sting Rays ...gettin in on! In Coz at Columbia Shallows. The DM was even excited......very cool!

Hammerhead. Biiig hammerhead. Checking out me and 5 friends at 60' in the Bahamas by making three passes at us, stopping JUST out of arm's reach (but would you WANT to reach???) each time (OK, I only saw two of these since my head was in a big vase sponge for the first one until I heard rapping on a tank). Er, stopping? Um, gills?...water flow?...come on, pal, aren't you supposed to keep on swimming? You eat turtles, right? Fish, now and then? Tasty squid even! We're a really big, six-headed, 24-limbed, bubble-blowing monster and you don't want to bother with us!

Actually, I'm sure it didn't, it was just curious and really, really cool. That is the most bizarrely shaped head on the planet when you get to study it up close.

I'll remember it when I'm 110 (and doing my safety stop, thank you very much).

The other things? Two stand out. Bioluminescence on many night dives. What's more beautiful than that? Full moon, 60', sand-bottom amphitheater with high coral walls. A few experienced dive buddies who all turn off our lights a few moments, let all the air out, and do glowing springy somersaults off the bottom. Or even just snorkelling or swimming at night--open your eyes underwater. It doesn't hurt.

The other is basket stars on night dives, waving, waving. Curling up, uncurling, curling up, uncurling, curling up, uncurling, curling up, uncurling, curling up, uncurling,....

Any other Human Breathing Air, Under the Sea..That is amazing..everything else is a Bonus... :wink:

A goldfish (Napaleon) as big as a volkswagon. Thousands of king Angel fish in one school, holding against the current; alongside a sheer dropoff, an endless wall, shimmering into oblivion. A reef shark for afternoon tea, circling right at depth for the entire dive. A small bull shark become timid, about 20 feet away, when I caught him sneaking up on a three jack. A dozen lionfish on the prowl, swimming in tactacial formation, just after sunset. The whispery grass of an eel garden framed in sunlight at sunset. A school of barracuda inhabiting a ships bow at twenty meters, with the look of landlords and the idle time of bankers; cirlcling and immune to intrusion. A manta at sunset, crusing through an upwelling filtering for plankton, a quiet giant, shadowy and mottled in sunlight, escaping just as you really see him. These are a few of my favorite things.

badassbill:
In the Bahamas I saw a Puffer fish the size of two basketballs. I tried like hell to catch him. He would have been the size of a VW bug puffed up.
I would also have to say the shark dive with Stuarts Cove was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Diving off the boat with sharks circling it is just too much to describe.

You might be glad you didn't catch it. Those things can really bite! Did you see the post about the DM who was poking at a porcupine puffer, and it took his finger off? They look so cute, with their constant expression of surprise, but they have amazing jaws.

I've had the privilege of diving with dolphins and pilot whales, which was amazing, but the best memory was a night dive in Roatan and there were string of pearls absolutely everywhere. It looked like flying over New York City at night. We turned off our lights and just stared for about 15 minutes.

Two dives pop in to my mind immediately...

The first one was February 6th, 2003. My g/f and I were going to do a night dive with a friend of ours. Just before our meet time, he called saying he was unable to dive that evening. At that point we were indecisive as to whether we wanted to dive that evening as it was really cold outside and we had been diving a lot lately. Finally, we decided to do the dive...I'm glad we did because it ended up being my first encounter with a six gill shark. The very instant that I first saw it swimming towards me is etched in my mind forever.

The other one was on May 22, 2003, dusk dive on the inside of Molokini. We had spent several minutes swimming relatively close to a school of Eagle Rays, saw several octopus, a rare Hawaiian Sting Ray, and spent 10 or so minutes swimming very close to a Manta. We started our ascent and while hanging under the boat, watching the manta swim about 50' below us, we noticed a couple of medium sized whitetip reef sharks swim up and circle us, then another, then a couple of grey reef sharks, then a Galapagos shark. It was truly an incredible experience having them circling us while watching the manta below.

Back
Top Bottom