What if

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Diver Dennis, I applaud you for your service. Unfortunately, there was a time here in America where veterans were looked down upon. The good news is most people changed their opinions and we now are respected. I hope the same comes true for the men and women in your country and other countries where the military and public service are not respected professions.

2Tours N Iraq
The good news is most people changed their opinions and we now are respected.
Most people being the key word. When I interviewed for my Fire Dept job the Mayor told me the military was nothing more than a bad career choice. Little draft dodging @#$% this was 96

Kiaran,

We run into them all the time. Now that it's long past and gone, it's kinda "cool" to be a Viet Nam veteran. Posers are popping up all over the place.

If you're ever engaging in a thread wherein the poser is active, just ask questions such as:

Where did you take your basic training
What was your class number
What was your MOS (or specialty, rating or whatever)
Where did you serve and what years
What outfit did you serve with

If they say they can't remember or "it's classified" the probability is extremely good that the person is a poser.

Just know them for what they are, liars, cheats, and in my opinion, cowards.

the K

I forgot my class number,but i swear i wasnt a marine:lotsalove:

I wasn't in the Marines,but I pray for those guys daily.I also see this kind of thing in the fire service also. Evidently he doesn'ty have what it takes to be a MARINE! he's tyying to make himself feel like someone. He really has problems.Worry about the things you can change and let the others go.He will get his one day!! GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! AMEN

I wasn't in the Marines,but I pray for those guys daily.I also see this kind of thing in the fire service also. Evidently he doesn'ty have what it takes to be a MARINE! he's tyying to make himself feel like someone. He really has problems.Worry about the things you can change and let the others go.He will get his one day!! GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! AMEN

Im not Fire Fighter but have 2 different NY Fire House shirts that I wear (Eng Co 10 Located at the WTC, and Eng 54/ Ladder 4 lost the most of any house) We visted both of them before our Iraq deployment. been asked many times if I'm a FF each time i say no. I dont feel like Im posing as something Im not just honoring the guys on that shirt.

Not speaking as a marine, but just as a father who has a son, who likes to play soldier. Kids who have low self esteem, might try to build one on the internet, thinking that they might impress someone. It is just a little game to make them seem more mature.

Perhaps this person one day will become a marine, a soldier, or a police officer. Then, they don't need to imagine to be someone that they aren't.

For your sake, just be proud that your dad is a marine. That he is something that other aspire to be. For the kid or man who pretend to be a marine - just let him live in his fantasy. The internet doesn't guarantee anything.

Actually, to answer Kraken, I had to repeat officer training twice! Didn't put my pant on right the first time (actually, it was too abbreviated, only 10 days for doctors), they made us take it again the second time (like a full 21 days). Can't remember what my MOS was. Don't know what class I was in. Attached to some unit at Ft. Hood that I never met. Stationed in Hawaii, and Rock Island Arsenal, IL. No, I was not in the marine, just the USAR medical corp.

Kiaran,

We run into them all the time. Now that it's long past and gone, it's kinda "cool" to be a Viet Nam veteran. Posers are popping up all over the place.

If you're ever engaging in a thread wherein the poser is active, just ask questions such as:

Where did you take your basic training
What was your class number
What was your MOS (or specialty, rating or whatever)
Where did you serve and what years
What outfit did you serve with

If they say they can't remember or "it's classified" the probability is extremely good that the person is a poser.

Just know them for what they are, liars, cheats, and in my opinion, cowards.

the K

After reading through this thread, I wondered how much I could remember about the particulars of my service without breaking out my records (yeah, I still have them; dog tags too). I know my boot camp Co. #, Co. Commanders, Chain of Command for that year, Squadron, ships, COs, XOs, MOS or NEC actually (Navy), close to 1/2 of the people in the Commands served, and many colorful memories. The only times I don't remember are when I was your typical cussing, drunken Sailor. Those times mustn've happened!:D

You probably didn't like the "who does it hurt? " right?

Well I say again, who does it hurt?

I did one hitch in the army 88-91. Did a year of that in Saudi for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Somebody making false claims doesn't hurt me. I would certainly help them to embarrass themself, with the basic training, MOS, unit, and any other questions that only a real veteran will be able to answer.

But I am not hurt by Idiots, I laugh at them.

To butcher a great quote:

He may be an *******, but I will fight to the death to defend his right to be an *******.

Brother you are on target. Who gives a $#!t about some t**d that says he is something he's not. Trust me he does not dishonor mine or anyone's service.

I think most guys/gals here who did any time take some of these posts with a grain of salt. I do. Posers, fakers call them what you want are pathetic.
I saw one guy claim to have been with SDV 7. A team that doesn't exist and never did.
I have sent private messages to couple of others on this board who have posted questionable military credentials. Never got an answer back and they suddenly quit posting.
If you think someone is saying they were a Marine and they weren't call them on it in the open and a real Marine will know instantly by their response.
If anyone knows of anyone here saying they were or are a SEAL let me know. I would love to talk to them.
I don't aim to chase people off this site but I think being truthful about military service is important.
Unless you are trying to impress some babe or get free beer! Those might be exceptions. Not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom