What is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for PADI, 90 minutes at 19 ft is not a dive. 19 minutes to 60 ft is not a dive. Interesting.

So for PADI, 90 minutes at 19 ft is not a dive. 19 minutes to 60 ft is not a dive. Interesting.

obviously that's not the case. :p

there's no "dive log police" who will check the veracity of your logs - logging's pretty much for your own benefit & the "must have x dives" thing is really a rule-of-thumb indication to potential students what degree of experience is expected from them.

as others have said, only YOU can decide what constitutes a "loggable dive". i'd suggest that getting into the water just to get your dive count up is not really the point.

this isn't like flying hours or something.

I would much rather see someone make 10, 10’, 10 minute dives getting suited and unsuited between each than someone making one deep long dive.

Gary D.

INHO, if you go into a liquid environment that requires life support equipment and you stay for a time period that requires the use of that equipment, it’s a logable dive. :wink:

Gary D.

So a snorkle would be "life support" equipment?

IMO if you are exposed to a hyperbaric environment where your body will be taking on more gases than at normal atmospheric pressure, then that period of time is a "dive"

I have made dives on SCUBA, dives with surface supplied equipment and I have been totally dry and made a dive in a hyperbarric chamber. It's all in the breathing under a pressure higher than 14.7 psi.

If you want to limit your self to a predetermined time, or pressure, or breathing gas, or color of shorts then do so by all means. But the Navy uses the definition I just described because you will have effects of DCS if you disreguard the safety measures required to undergo any hyperbaric activity. Yes you can embolize in a chamber just as eaisly as in the ocean.

So a snorkle would be "life support" equipment?

No, you are still breathing normal atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi through a snorkle.

What kind of Dm are you anyway? A PADI 2 day wounder?

I would much rather see someone make 10, 10’, 10 minute dives getting suited and unsuited between each than someone making one deep long dive.

Gary D.

Depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish. If you've already been diving for awhile then the long dives are fine. If you are relatively new then the short ones give you practice putting together.

A little clarification on PADI's definition of a training dive...

When the requirement for a training dive was set for 20min @ 20' (the requirement says something to the effect of "spent at", not a momentary dip to 20') or 50 cuft, I don't have hte manual in front of me now, they were setting the limitations on instructors for training - NOT defining what is or is not a dive. (I like the comment about if you're underwater breathing you're either diving or drowning)

They were trying to ensure that students don't get a brief dunk under water by instructors more intent on increasing dives, decreasing student time, or just plain lazy.

Like most situations, this requires a bit of common sense in application. If you're doing a winter dive in a wet suit, calling the dive at 19 minutes due to the student displaying excessive hypothermia, PADI's "scuba police" won't hunt the instructor down and cut up his card.

No, you are still breathing normal atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi through a snorkle.

What kind of Dm are you anyway? A PADI 2 day wounder?

Per the post I was responding to...

Ah, never mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom