What is a semi dry wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about semi-dry wetsuits but...

If you don't get your wrist and neck seals right or you don't totally close your zipper you do get a semi-wet drysuit which I know all about:wink:

Only person around here I know diving one with a drysuit zipper is Jerry,
DM, instructor & shopmeister at Reefseekers in Beverly Hills. His Isotherm is usually at the store, unless he dives it.

Those zippers are frequently made of plastics, less expensive but also less sturdy than metal.

Camaro and Waterproof make good ones that I know of, but you gotta figure out how to get it. Same for the Scubapro Scotia.

www.camaro.at
www.waterproof.se

ummmm ... you are either wet, or you are dry. A wee bit like being semi pregnant, don't you think?

I dive semi dry all year round and never had a squeeze. You must have a proper fitting suit.:)

I have a semi dry and never have a problem with squeeze, but I know of people who have. Found out that they did not properly burp out the additional air before the final seal closing.

I always pour a little warm water into my suit and bend down before I close the back zipper (well my buddy closes it for me). That way I have removed any additional air and spread the warm water about.

I can last about 45 min in 40 deg water before I begin to feel a chill. Works for me.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

there are some suits that have seals on the ankles, wrist and neck that are wet-suits with seals and there are suits that are more like drysuits in terms of the zipper etc. I have heard both described as semi dry suits but also have heard suits with the former being called simply wetsuits.

What is the definition of a semi dry ?

My 5mm suit has all the seals but none of its literature refers to it as a semi dry

As I said before, it's a marketing term ... or ploy. Won't be in the dictionary. Maybe some day it'll end up there if it's used often enough. Think SUV, SAV etc., same thing, terms that are supposed to help sales, create a different image. Used to trucks, 4x4s and station wagons (in the US, anyway :wink: ).
Semi-dry is just as stupid. If you get wet by design, it's really a wetsuit. But you can't charge extra for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom