What is REAL Streamlining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE and UTD teach these methods.
Yes, they do. So do others.

Have you looked at the DIR stuff yet? Those guys get really serious about their gear.
That's who he is talking about.

Yes, GUE and UTD teach these methods, but so do others. Most of my tech training was UTD/DIR. When I took cave training through NSS-CDS, I wasn't asked to modify a thing, and if you watched my instructor--who had no DIR training whatsoever--and me getting into the water, you would have had to look very hard to find a difference in out setup. There was a difference, and it could be argued that he was more streamlined than I in that difference. I later did my Advanced Trimix diving with TDI, and, once again, you would not notice a difference between what I wore and my instructor. I now do a lot of work with a tech instructor who is both TDI and IANTD. Once again, we look pretty much alike.

OK, that was my tech instruction. You can learn to be streamlined in any gear if you give it some thought.

One way in which most recreational divers are much less streamlined than tech divers is in their regulators. This seems counterintuitive to people who have not seen it, but the tech regulator setup with a long (5-7 foot) hose on the primary and a bungeed alternate is much more streamlined than the typical recreational setup. The long primary hose is routed so that it is always close to the body, not sticking out in a big loop off the right shoulder. The alternate is even closer to the body when not in use, and it cannot come loose and dangle freely the way a traditional alternate can.

Streamlined scuba diving = Fantasy
Yes, you are correct!

Please visit my web site below.

Enjoy my streaming video from Fantasy dives all over the world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom