What is Red Bend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...
Perhaps someone was crediting him with something that he really didn't invent?

Cousteau was pretty good at crediting himself with things he did not actually invent or do first. Some of his early diving buddies and contemporaries were pretty peaved at his tendency to hog the credit and the lime light. Others just accepted that he was pretty good at hogging the credit and the limelight and that it was also good for the sport. (That is not to say however that there wasn' t a lot of things he DID invent or do first.)

My understanding was that the term "the bends" came from earlier helmet divers who would be "bent" over in pain when afflicted with what they didn't know was DCS.

SeaJay once bubbled...

The Brooklyn Bridge welders must have been using a bell... Right? How fascinating... Can you imagine working in a bell, a hundred feet below the surface, lit only with a candle?

More box than bell and not as air tight but similar principle.

What they did was build a structure under water where they needed to make a foundation or whatever. Then they would run hoses to it and over pressurize it and keep it over pressurized so that all the water was forced out and stayed out. Workers could then go down and do what they needed to do.

Of course, after working at say 3 ATAs for a few hours they would come up and get bent.

Even as a non-diver I knew what the bends were, but like one of you said earler this is really not the kind of thing to name your comapny after. The Heraldry sounds promising and perhaps the fast running current between two inlets.
At any rate, the discussion has been interesting. For that I thank all of you. If any of you are familiar with the formation of new companies, you probably are aware that somebody probably paid $100K's for this name. The sad thing is that I am having to resort to going into Internet message boards to find out what it might mean! ;-0

Why don't you just go ask the guy that named it?:confused:

Seems like a good answer Detroit Diver except that the executive team that approved the name is long gone and the firm that was paid to come up with the name probably won't talk to us unless we agree to pay more money. Besides that would take all the fun out of the search for the answer! :wink:
Based on other research that I have done, it appears that the actual answer as to where the name came is much less glamorous than the ideas shared here. As such, I will probably chose to use one of the ideas mentioned here since it makes for better copy, no? Have a good day and thanks again for all your replies. :)

A bend is also a type of knot.
Used to tie two ropes together.
Maybe they were trying to say their software brings something together.

What kind of software is it?

Back
Top Bottom