What is the best On-site snorkeling place in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtamborra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We did Cozumel Palace last year and it was amazing. The on-site snorkeling was great (small area), but still very nice to be able to just jump in and snorkel.

We are currently looking for a place like that in the bahamas. We aren't a fan of taking taxis just to get to a snorkel spot or taking those snorkel tours (just once in awhile)

Of course it would help if the place was nice, but we are willing to give up some luxuries for an awesome, on-site snorkeling experience where we can just wake up and jump in.

I have been researching this online but it always leads to reviews about "snorkel tours"

So if anyone has any input, it is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi mtamborra. You've hit upon the very nub of my thoughts. I do believe that somewhere in the Bahamas I will find the perfect spot: a cheap hotel (with all above surface conveniences and necessities near enough), no NEED to rent a car, or a boat or go on a "tour boat," a variety of screamingly fantastic snorkeling within walking distance, maybe no other snorkelers or other people anywhere nearby. For me, that means somewhere in the Out Islands. I've only been to the Bahamas once. That was Cat Island. One thing I learned for sure is that the travel books (emphatically including the Lonely Planet Bahamas Dive and Snorkeling book) and all the internet dive and travel sites do not do more than touch the surface of what's there. For one thing because there is so much great snorkeling in the Bahamas. For example, all discussions of Cat Island I've read talk about the south of the island and a few sites on the sides. But the north has unbelievable snorkeling. I'm planning to go back in the Fall and stay at the Orange Creek Inn. Staying at the hotel is described somewhere as a "Peace Corps experience," which suits my tastes just fine. I am looking forward to exploring the whole coast up in that section. Maybe I'll have to go back many times to do that:) ! Anyway, then there's the Exumas, Eleuthera, Long Island and on and on. The key is to keep hammering at it. Perfection is not going to be found in a one shot deal. That's my 2c and a good deal more.

Back
Top Bottom