What is the deal with 5th D?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
I take it that is the guy you were dealing with???

Pretty darn sure, if not possitive, the he was. I think I might have talked to a Mike at one time, but about 99.9999% possitive it was Mark who I talked to on Tuesday, and I know for sure he rang it up (name is on the reciept).

I think I'm not going to worry about any of it anymore this weekend... If I don't see the book show up sometime next week, I'll call and talk to them, about when it's supposed to be here, and then bring up that I thought one of the employees told me it was in the course cost, as well as beliving I got one size up from what I asked for in spools, though that I don't really care, I asked for the 100, but not going to worry about it, if I got a 150, so be it, I can just shoot a bag from a deeper depth, or swifter current and have line to spare

I don't get it.
It must bother you quite a bit to be posting so much about your experiences yet you won't call them up and voice your concerns? They're obviously unaware of a problem and I don't see how they can fix it until you say something. Didn't you initially say that you wanted the 2 items shipped seperate? Sounds to me like they were trying to do as you wished.

Thanks for the rant but I really don't see your point

My read is that he HAS called, several times, and gets results that are inconsistent with what he requests and is promised.

I have just sent them an e-mail myself to inquire as to the whereabouts of a spool I ordered and was charged for 2 weeks ago. Won't mind if I receive the 150 instead of the 100 I ordered (yes, they are the same price) but I do want to receive SOMETHING.

theskull

FWIW. I've had a lot of delayed packages (ok, just 3) and it may be the Christmas season. I never give a shop more than two chances and that's only with an apology for the first screw up. Same goes for hair-cutteries. With the internet, there is always plenty of friendly suppliers.

True, there are other suppliers out there ... but if you want to follow up that purchase with a GUE course, your options are rather limited. Hence some people's desire to establish and maintain a relationship with a particular LDS.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

theskull:
My read is that he HAS called, several times, and gets results that are inconsistent with what he requests and is promised.

I have just sent them an e-mail myself to inquire as to the whereabouts of a spool I ordered and was charged for 2 weeks ago. Won't mind if I receive the 150 instead of the 100 I ordered (yes, they are the same price) but I do want to receive SOMETHING.

theskull

Received reply e-mail (but it took a few days) that UPS had delivery problems due to ice storms and returned my package to the shop, and that he re-sent it. I did then receive the spool in a decent time frame from the e-mail.

So, decent service, but not exemplary on this first purchase. But since the local shop that is a Halcyon dealer is customer-unfriendly, I will give Fifth-D another shot when I am again in the market.

theskull

WillAbbott:
Just the other day at a retail store, my mom had to run to find the price on an item she was buying which had no tags, because the cashier wouldn't go look, or even call for a price check... what happened to the goold old days of hang on a second I'll go look, and then you RUN from the cash register to find the item, and run back with the price.

Not to hijack the subject, but you don't get that because people don't just walk out. Your mother did their job, so they didn't have to. I would have (and have in similar situations) simply walked out and left the merchandise on the register. I have even stopped my the office and mentioned the situation to a manager. It's always fun to see the look on their faces, especially when you have over $100 of merchandise there. You could even be mean and tell them you are going to check, and then leave the store (or hide in a corner and see how long it takes them waiting before they start to deal with other customers! :wink: ).

Sure you have to start over shopping elsewhere, but crappy service is crappy service and I won't support it.

I had a bit of a strange experience with them too... it wasn’t really a big deal, but it kinda bothered me:

I ordered long hoses, gauge, and bolt kit for MC storage pack.... gauge and hoses came in a box filled of packing peanuts... that was bad! The peanuts were crushed into tiny small particles, which went inside the hose ports... it took me a long time to clean it out,.. also the hose threads were chipping... a small metal particle from the thread came of.. it looked tweired! For a moment, I thought that I got jerked and that theer is no way those were the Halcyon hoses. When I spoke to some guy at 5thD, he told me that this is how Halcyon ships the hoses to them, and that they never wrap them in a plastic or anything like that and that they never had any complaints about it.

Well, that was just part of the problem. The other thing was that the MC bolt kit was not in the box altogether, yet I was charged for it. The good thing however, is that they overnighted it to me at no charge. So that was good, I can’t really complain about that. So, I'd definitely do business again with them, but I hope they are more careful and start paying attention to little details like that, because that is definitely not a good reflection on DIR guys when minor stuff like that happens.

WillAbbott:
As some of you probably read in a previous post, one of the guys at 5th D was giving me garbage the other day, and wasn't being very good in his customer service.

The issue was I wanted a 100' spool (which they had in stock) and wanted to have my DIR-F books sent with it. Well they didn't have the DIR books in right now (ran out) and he refused to send them seperately, even though I wanted to pay the shipping for them seperately to get the spool.

This happened on Tuesday.

On a side note, I double checked when registering for the class, that the cost of the books were included with the class, which they said they were.

Well what happens today? Low and behold I'm loading up my dive gear, and UPS shows up, with what? A small package from Fifth-D marked UPS 2nd day.

I open it and find a 100' spool (wow bit bigger than I thought, but cool) and a reciept, which has a spool $44, shipping at $12 (not bad I guess, I'm willing to pay $12 to get it here, that quickly. and DIR Fundamentals book at $23 which BTW isn't in the package probably because it still hasn't arrived.

The fact it came after him telling me they'd wait and ship it at the same time get's me, but not quite as much as the charge for the book, esspecially when it isn't here... typically you don't get charged when an item is back ordered until it arrives and ships.

I'm not overly upset, but primarily thinking, "WHAT is going on up there?" They act like they can't keep thier act together. The package is even got the guy who I'm sure was the one I talked to on the phone and gave me a hard time. On thier web page it says books are extra, yet when I talked to them on the phone to register, I was told it was included, I just needed to come pick it up. Grrr!

I finnaly got my book. Right on the 4th week to the day, I called and this time, same person, different answer... now it was no longer UPS running behind, but that GUE JUST shipped them, and they should be there in a few days.

Never a reason I didn't think about... I figgured it was probably GUE holding up the process, either because they were slow to ship the books, ran out and had to wait for more from the printers, etc....

However, being told that it was UPS's fault, a company who's livelyhood depends on not only shipping items, but reliably shipping them, in the time frame they say they will ship them. The books must have gotten to Fifth-D about 3 days later (instead of the typical 5 for ground, so must have been 2-3day air), I then got my book the next day, with a 2 day sticker on it... LOL, they paid for 2-day shipping when it would get here in 1 regardless...

Also, on another positive note, the same guy who rang me up, and has given me all the fits, left a message on my answering machine the day they shipped the book, telling me it got there and was shipped, noticed that he (though he didn't say he did it, even though his name was on the recipt) had charged me for the book, and it was to be included in the class cost, and they'd do a credit on it...

So everything worked out ok, as I figgured it would, but some deffinate issues going on up there. I will probably give them a second chance, as I typically do with shops, and maybe even a 3rd/4th/5th if need be... But in my opinion it wasn't the best move to say UPS was running behind, when they weren't and the fact was it was GUE... it would have been, and was a much better excuse to say, the books haven't shipped from GUE yet, and we don't know what the hold up is... than to say UPS is running behind, when they aren't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom