What is this from? ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plaamook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was washing my gear out and this was in the bottom of my bucket. I have no idea what it is.
It's not from my regs. (Apeks DS4's) or my BCD or ... anything as far as I know.
Anyone?
Some random part is a bit disconcerting to say the least.

IMG_4283.JPG

Maybe a grommet of some sort? My first guess would be your BCD, a pocket, drysuit, or something like that. My second guess would be random debris that got caught in your gear while diving.

Personally, I expect it's a low probability that's something important if you haven't spotted a major issue yet. But low probability is still not zero. Do a "function test" on all your gear. In other words, pressurize and breathe from your regulators. Inflate your BCD to max and check for leaks. Put on your BCD and make sure it fits and feels right. Do similar with your other gear (mask, fins, wetsuit, etc). It might feel silly putting on all that gear at home, but better to discover it now, than when you're at the dive-site.

Something that works for me, is I dive with a LOT of redundancy. For example, if I service a set of regulators, I don't have any reason to think I messed up, but I'm also not that worried because I dive with redundant air. I also patched up a BCD with a big hole a while back, and wasn't worried there because I had 3 other reliable ways (DSMB, finning, or "climbing" the shore) of returning to the surface if the BCD failed.

Im redundant up to the eye balls. I dive solo. I service my own kit. I know it inside out. But that’s why I’m wondering what the hell this thing is. Just sitting there on the bottom of the wash bucket. It’s a funny feeling.

I found a random bolt in my car like that. I’ve been holding onto it for ages waiting for some **** to fall off something. It’s very obvs part of my car but from where?!

I’m guessing…as you say…it’s some random junk that just decided to fall out from some previous junk I picked up at some point.
I was just wondering if it was clearly a ‘thing’ anyone else might recognise.

For what it’s worth…these days I’m diving in a wetsuit only, two Apeks DS4 Scubapro S600 combos, and a rotating collection of old AP Commando BCD’s. As far as I’m aware it can’t be from any of those.

Found something similar last trip -- it was the plastic head of the bolt that secured my AquaLung Knife to the grommets on my weight pocket.

Flexible material? Do you have a snorkel with a purge?

Or should I say "did you..."

same thing used to happen to me every time I restored a car or motorcycle. I always ended up with a handful of screws, nuts, and springs.
Everything worked fine so I just figured I eliminated un-necessary weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom