What is this hand signal? Looks like filing your nails on your palm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it was, "please pass me your slate and pencil"..

It definetely wasn't the safety stop signal.

It could have been the file fish or just an itchy palm. It did seem that she directed it at some people but maybe she was just scratching her palm while she was looking back to check on them.

I guess I'll have to go back to St. Maarten to dive and learn the signal. I think that's a good enough reason to go back. :cool2:

Reactions: Jax
This is a great example of why discussing common hand signals before a dive is part of the pre-dive brief. Sad that a dive master would be so lax as to not do this.

This is a great example of why discussing common hand signals before a dive is part of the pre-dive brief. Sad that a dive master would be so lax as to not do this.

She did go over all the hand signals related to air consumption, going up, going down, out of air, safety stop etc. I think this was either an itchy palm or a signal for a fish. She went over some signals like , lobster, shark, eel, and anchor (there were large anchors form the 1800's) This may have been a wildlife signal she forgot. She definitely did go over the important ones though and went over planned depths, turn around PSI, when and how we should signal her etc.

She did go over all the hand signals related to air consumption, going up, going down, out of air, safety stop etc. I think this was either an itchy palm or a signal for a fish. She went over some signals like , lobster, shark, eel, and anchor (there were large anchors form the 1800's) This may have been a wildlife signal she forgot. She definitely did go over the important ones though and went over planned depths, turn around PSI, when and how we should signal her etc.

She went over the signals which are important to the dive, and diver's safety, plus a few others. There are literally dozens of signals that experienced divers use for various forms of underwater wildlife. There is small purpose loading up divers with signals which will probably be forgotten or confused almost immediately. And, there is no universality for these signals. For example, many photographers and spear fishermen give all signals with one hand (even if their other hand is not occupied), since they are USUALLY carrying something in the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom