What Kind of Gear Do You Keep Duplicates/Extras Of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not counting any repair stuff (ie. extra O rings, pliers, you know)-- I have:
Extra hood.
Extra boots.
Extra fins.
Extra masks (most of which I've found)
Extra snorkels-- again, most were found (I never wear them and only occasionally carry the foldable one I bought).
Extra shell collecting bag.
3 pairs of gloves (I use them all according to water temp.)
1 extra shorty wetsuit.
Extra weights.

I thought the point of SDI Solo was to teach you how to cover your own bases. I didn't think it literally meant Solo.

No, it literally means solo exactly as stated on the cert and the card.

Necro thread I suppose. Thanks to the pandemic I have not dived nearly as much as I had planned in my first retirement years. Consequentially as that time cannot be gotten back I have been cutting back equipment, selling off, giving away, throwing away. But I still have multiples of everything, wetsuits, fins, masks, wings, plates and especially regulators. I can still produce an impressive pile of gear by most any measure. But I am trying to condense down to reliable, simple, minimal, (parts) compatible gear.

On a trip that involves getting on a jet airplane I carry a spare regulator (sometimes several) and a spare prescription mask. I usually bring two wetsuits or appropriate exposure gear because I hate putting on wet neoprene. My camera equipment uses up a lot of room so I have been trying to streamline down to essentials.

James

Computers. We carry a bunch of them.

As a vacation diver everything else can be rented-ish or worked around.

Except for her prescription mask. She has 2.

Oh - oops, I carry an extra P&S camera just in case (it lives in my BCD pocket with some computers), an extra camera body for my main camera and then a few extra vintage strobes. I cycle the strobes during the week just for grins.

I take the fifth....
I can't, we don't have that in Oz, but I know where you are coming from.
Just too much.
The real question is "what kind of equipment I DON'T have extra of"! I have 2 - 4 of everything at least.
As above.

Diving at my home base, my car is a mobile dive shop, from spare regs and fins to small stuff like plugs for a first stage and tools to fix things.

Traveling is a different story, but I generally carry a spare mask and regulator (I don't like using rentals).

I have a backup of everything, including drysuit.

For some reason gear tends to breed once in a warm.home.

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.? With the shortages of rubber/neoprene for wetsuits and other shipping related issues, I was curious to see what would be considered the "most important" to double up on. My wetsuit is already showing some rough wear and tear after 20 dives and I've already grabbed Aquaseal...

To add to the above question, what kind of backup equipment would you bring with you to a dive site?
When I’m traveling:
Spare regulator and computer
Spare mask
Extra vest or hooded vest depending on location
Sav-a-dive kit with spare O-rings, silicone, tools
Extra batteries for computers, transmitters and lights

When I’m diving locally, I leave out the spare reg and computer, although I always dive with a backup computer anyway.

Back
Top Bottom