What kind of shark would make you get out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
What can I say? I'm a product of the Jaws generation. I love to look at them, but I really really really need my security blanket. And I do remember how well that cage worked in the first movie... Ick.

Jaws has got a lot to answer for. That film has left a dark place in the minds of millions. The sharks have suffered for it poor buggers.

I agree. Though I still have as big of an issue with snakes after the first Indiana Jones movie as well.

I was only seven when Jaws came out. I saw that one way too young.

Funny how these things can stick with you.

Never been "chased" out of the water by a shark.

However, this thread makes me wonder what the safest way to get out is if there is a dangerous species seemingly interested in your presence. Personally, I would imagine I would feel most vulnerable once I got near the boat.

The interval from the surface to the boat deck could be a long minute or two depending on how pressing the perceived danger was...

JAG

Interesting thread...

I always wondered how I would react to a nearby shark...

Although I grew up as part of the "Jaws generation", the thought of them as indiscriminate killers faded while watching Jacques Cousteau (SP?), Discovery, TLC, etc.

Question answered, I finally saw my first sharks (other than a sleeping Nurse Shark) swimming nearby on my last trip. I was thrilled, excited, cautious and thankfully not scared out of my mind(thank Jacques). Although I did go through my tank a bit faster than usual. I look forward to my next shark encounter.

As far as what would scare me out of the water...I guess my list is similar to others I have seen;

1) Great White (after I left a brown trout behind for him to chase)
2) Probably a Tiger or Bull would do it, so long as I ID'd them correctly.
3) I know a Hammerhead should scare the hell out of me, but I think I would be to thrilled.
4) Any shark that looks pissed...

Having said all that, what is the best way to exit the water with a Great White (or other aggressive shark), whithout inviting an attack?

Jeff

The shark that would scare me out of the water...hhmmm. I think the one that was chewing on my DB leg.
Never seen one but I doubt that I would worry enough to get out unless he was acting pissed. How many are going out tomorrow and buy a shark shield from your LDS?

I always thought seeing any shark in the water would terrify me, but I saw 2 rather small white tip reef sharks within about 10 minutes of each other on the GBR. It was my first dive as a certified diver (with 2 other newly certified divers). What a start! I was thrilled and excited and we all swam in their direction as they moved off. Surely if I saw any shark that was agressive, or anything larger, I would be terrified, but it wasn't as scary as I'd imagined seeing those ones.
I think it would be worse to be swimming and see a fin on the surface.
Anyone had any close encounters with an agressive shark to share?

Hawk:
Since we don't have any kind of sharks in the lakes around here, and I haven't gotten to dive in the ocean yet, the only shark I have seen in it's natural state is a land shark. I guess if I found out one of those was in the water where I was diving I would probably get out and leave! LOL!

Seriously, I don't know how I would react. I have always wanted to get a chance to find out though.

Later, Hawk.[/QUOTELand Shark ? No just a harmless dolphine ma-am. Candygram.

]

Great White (Carcharodon carcharias) :11:
Oceanic Whitetip (Carcharhinus longimanus) :11:
Tiger (Galeocerdo cuvier) :06: maybe...
Bull (Carcharhinus leucas) :06: maybe...

I think any shark that starts displaying aggressively means it's a good time to leave, if only the immediate area.

So far I've dived with whitetip reef, grey reef and scalloped hammerheads in the red sea, then last year went to Turks and Caicos where there were caribbean reef sharks on almost every dive, and one nurse shark we came across on a night dive. None of them were any trouble at all.
In seven weeks time my buddy and I are heading out to Egypt again, taking a liveaboard down to the St. Johns reef area, just north of the Sudan border. Apparently somebody recently returning from the same trip with the same dive company was quoted as saying of the area, "if sharks were aeroplanes, this place would be an airport", so I'm hoping for good things.
Luckily for us, we are then staying on for a second week, day diving from Marsa Alam. This means that we can dive the legendary Elphinstone reef. There are 3 large oceanic whitetips that frequent the area, and they apparently get their kicks by "bumping" the divers. But nobody has ever been bitten, or so they say. I'm looking forward to it, but with trepidation I must admit. Someone my buddy struck up a conversation with on Divernet (an English based forum), had recently dived Elphinstone, and saw 5 different species of shark on one dive, including silkys and threshers. The oceanic whitetips weren't there on the dive, but turned up later when some of the group went in snorkelling between dives, and began the bumping routine. Everyone decided it would be better to get out of the water than take any chances.
To be honest though, the thing that scares me most is the fact that we are going right in the middle of triggerfish breeding season, and if any of you have had the misfortune to swim into a Titan triggerfish's territory when it has eggs, you'll know exactly what I mean. The sharks give them a wide berth too.
David

Back
Top Bottom