Question What length LPI do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So when I ordered my BP/W, I asked for a mid-length corrugated hose with it. It measures 16” from the base where it attaches to the wing, to the K-connector as seen in the pic. Problem is that it also came with a standard 22” LPI which is a good 6” longer than the corrugated and creates a loop behind my head with a single tank recreational setup. How much extra do I really need to be streamlined? Considering the LPI has to plug into the 1st stage - Will an 18” LPI be just right? I use Scubapro regs with a swivel turret mounted downwards 45 deg FWIW but haven’t found an optimal port that takes in the slack… unless I route it from behind the post (just occurred to me - I haven’t tried that before…) I don’t have a tank at home to try out different configuration options so asking here…

Attachments

• 20231121_130926.jpeg
    20231121_130926.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 45
18 will probably work, but the only real way to know is to measure it once you've set up your tank/1st stage. Then you can pull the extra hose past the lpi and take a measurement.

18’s might work. I use 20” lpi and back up reg hoses in single back mount. 22’s are ideal for back mounted doubles.

If you go shorter than 20” suggest you measure with the wing fully inflated/deflated-particularly running off pistons. Better slightly too long (1-2”) than slightly too short.

You'll need a longer one for a single tank than you do for doubles, unless you're attaching the LPI to the right post, then you need a longer one for doubles than for a single.

Take your BCD to a LDS, set it up, and measure how much too long your LPI is. Then order one the right size while you're there.

Thanks for your inputs and comments everyone.

On my latest dive trip I routed the extra length around and behind the tank post from where it comes straight out from the first stage, before pairing it snugly with the rubber bands on the inflator hose the rest of the way. With this trick it was without any free-folding loop that could become a snag hazard anywhere (in theory). I could do this since I use a turret first stage…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom