What Lense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
hello,
I have bought the Ikelite Housing for my Nikon D100 camera. I am going to be buying a new lense, and not sure what I should get. I am curious if you guys use zoom lenses, wide angle lenses or standard lenses. These are my choices I have.
16MM, 18MM,20MM,24MM,28MM,35MM,50MM,105MM,12-24,18-35,20-35,25-50,28-70, 28-80,28-85,28-105

Which lense do you use the most ? I understand that you need to be pretty close to the object you are photographing, so I curious if my best choice would be a something like the 50MM?

Looking foward to your responses,

Daniel

GeronimoDF:
hello,
I have bought the Ikelite Housing for my Nikon D100 camera. I am going to be buying a new lense, and not sure what I should get. I am curious if you guys use zoom lenses, wide angle lenses or standard lenses. These are my choices I have.
16MM, 18MM,20MM,24MM,28MM,35MM,50MM,105MM,12-24,18-35,20-35,25-50,28-70, 28-80,28-85,28-105

Which lense do you use the most ? I understand that you need to be pretty close to the object you are photographing, so I curious if my best choice would be a something like the 50MM?

Looking foward to your responses,

Daniel

I'm assuming you mean for U/W work. On land I prefer the versatility of a zoom,but U/W I shoot the 105 macro 90% of the time. Of course thats on my Nik N90s. With your DSLR you are going to have to figure in the magnification factor of 1.5. The 60mm macro would be my choice for you rig. The problem with the zooms is the lack of a good 1:1 macro so you pretty much have to make the decision before the dive Macro or WA. Can't have everything :~) !

If your looking for a wide angle, the 12-24mm is very good.

I don't have dSLR but has been contemplating (but not very serious about it). For most people, one wide angle like the 12-24mm or 18-35mm, 60mm macro and 105 macro would cover the majority of your photography needs. Alternatively may be one wide angle and a 70-180mm might do the trick. Of course this is only if your housing/port is compatible with the zoom gear for that lens.

Don't know about D70 but I could see a D1 MkII in the future, if I can get all the lens that I want :wink:

Hello,

A few quick facts on lens.

Prime lens results in superior image quality over zooms.
In a housing you have to take note of the barrel size and close focus.
You match the lens with your subject, i.e. 14mm to 20mm for marine mammals, 50 to 200mm macro for, duh, macro work.

Personaly I would never consider a zoom lens for any type of work.

Ed

I agree that prime lens offer superior image quality but personally I am willing to sacrifice some quality over the flexibility that zoom lens offer since there are often limitation in the ability to get close to some subjects and the matter of visibility that may affect the distance away from the subject. So for me, I would prefer the zoom lens for flexibility to fine tune the composition. Of course, preference for each individual may be varied.

Hello,
When you say 14-20mm, you do not mean fisheye lenses right?

Thanks,

Daniel

I think I am going to get a 60MM macro Lense, and either a 16mm fisheye or a 18mm lense. Which one would you get, the 16mm fisheye or 18 mm lense.

GeronimoDF,

Question is not what I would buy but what YOU will be shooting with the lens.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom