What percent of oxygen should you go to the surface for freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

44556j

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

When using an oximeter or a similar device to monitor oxygen levels during freediving, what is the percent/number that you should start to ascend for (ex. do I start ascending at 90% ,80% , etc.?)

I know the precents can vary between beginners and advanced free divers so I want to know the number for beginners starting out in freediving.

Thanks

.. or a similar device to monitor oxygen levels
What device would you use that will measure partial pressure of O2 and factor in the pressure at depth? A finger tip oximeter won't accurately work & calibrate at pressure underwater for example a 66ft deep with arms and legs in constant motion. That's why most freedivers use the rule of "double surface time of your total dive time" and many wrist watch computers are set for that so the diver can watch it's count down.

What device would you use that will measure partial pressure of O2 and factor in the pressure at depth? A finger tip oximeter won't accurately work & calibrate at pressure underwater for example a 66ft deep with arms and legs in constant motion. That's why most freedivers use the rule of "double surface time of your total dive time" and many wrist watch computers are set for that so the diver can watch it's count down.
I did not know that so thanks for that information. What are some good wrist watch computers brands for freediving?

I did not know that so thanks for that information. What are some good wrist watch computers brands for freediving?
I'm not a regular freediver so you should ask others. But several of my friends that freedive like the Cressi Cartesio wrist computer. It easily tracks their dive time, computes their surface requirements with full alarms to keep them safe from Shallow Water Blackout by too quickly repeating deeper dives. If you have not taken a freediving training course you really should. It will dramatically improve your breath hold time and your dive depth, while staying safe. It will be well worth your money for the deeper dives you will be able to do.

Hi « 44556j »
@ « Johnoly » your #2

Apnea time x 3 for surface récupération by AID
For information (sorry it’s in french, please use Google translate)

Static in air monitored, very interesting video
Syncope Hypoxique

Comparaison between 3 oximeters
@ 47: 22 from this video
And C02 is more important than O2 !

Attachments

• OXYmeter comparaison.png
    OXYmeter comparaison.png
    398.1 KB · Views: 12
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom